Third Party Press

DUV 40 Bring Back

copperhead

I have a DUV 40 that my grandfather brought back from Europe at the end of the war. The unfortunate thing, at least for me at this time, is that it was sporterized. It is all numbers matching and complete except of course for the stock hardware. I have begun the quest to restore it to the best of my ability. I need help however determining what type of stock I should acquire. I may have already leaped before I looked and have a laminate with cupped butt plate on the way. Looking for guidance. Note that I have seen conflicting views on which stock material could have potentially been used.

Attachments

• IMG_3098.jpg
    IMG_3098.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3099.jpg
    IMG_3099.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3100.jpg
    IMG_3100.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3101.jpg
    IMG_3101.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3102.jpg
    IMG_3102.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3103.jpg
    IMG_3103.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3104.jpg
    IMG_3104.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3105.jpg
    IMG_3105.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3106.jpg
    IMG_3106.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3107.jpg
    IMG_3107.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
You need a laminate stock with flat buttplate. You can look in the Picture Reference Index, there is a nice duv 40 example: Link

Please show some pictures of your grandfathers rifle.

I have obtained a stock, according to the responses above I need a flat buttplate stock. The one I obtained (I was impatient) appears to be a Yugo stock. Despite that it fits great and is in good overall condition. I also had to obtain a rear sight base and both bands. I obtained all unmarked parts with the initial goal of getting the rifle back as close to "stock" as possible, as soon as possible with the least cost. The rear sight base was in the raw, I rust blued it and have installed it on the rifle. The lower band (if I have the nomenclature correct; the one that the sling attaches to) was also in the raw and I rust blued it as well. Question I have is on the bands. How tight should the lower band fit, should it require a small amount of persuading to be coaxed fully into position? Should the upper band require similar coaxing? I could probably man up and get them into position by hand but was thinking of just using a block of wood and a small mallet. More importantly I'm wondering if their fit should be snug or should they easily slide into position?

I now intend to start looking for numbered parts and a proper stock but need some guidance. The eagle stamp with the 214 number under it, specifically how is that stamp referred to? I'm making the assumption that I won't find any parts with the last two digits of my S/N and was going to try and just match the other stamp. Also, I took the rifle completely apart and cleaned it up. The one part I found that may show indications that it does not match, is the rear sight locking portion that engages the part that has the range markings. The only number on this part is 22.

Additionally, what is the meaning of the little cursive "i" that is located on a few places on the rifle?

How tight should the lower band fit, should it require a small amount of persuading to be coaxed fully into position? Should the upper band require similar coaxing? I could probably man up and get them into position by hand but was thinking of just using a block of wood and a small mallet. More importantly I'm wondering if their fit should be snug or should they easily slide into position?

Snug is definitely better than loose. The fact that you 'think' you could get it on by hand is good. A dowel or block of wood and tapping won't hurt anything.

The eagle stamp with the 214 number under it, specifically how is that stamp referred to?

Acceptance. Acceptance stamps of inspection teams are generally referred to as eagle over 214 or e/214 in this case.

Additionally, what is the meaning of the little cursive "i" that is located on a few places on the rifle?

If it's what I think you're referring to that's the makers mark or code for Elite Diamant. Mostly find them on all 6 of the rear sight parts. Duh I thought maybe you were referring to rear sight parts you'd gotten. Looking at this rifle it would be the 'block' of 10000 rifles so this i block would be the 101,876th rifle produced that year if my math is correct.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back