Third Party Press

dou 44 info

Cprimz

I need a little help to possibly identify this rifle and exactly was I have. This was an attic find and I'm not up to snuff on Mauser rifles. It has dou 44 with Nazi eagles stamped on barrel and bolt. Every serial number all the way to barrel channel in the stock match. It has to cuts in the stock they might be duffle cuts but not sure. What do I have and what would be an approx. value? thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_0304.jpg
    IMG_0304.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 71
To put a value on it you’d have to show a lot more photos.

But it’s a dou, aka Brunn II in Brystica, Czechoslovakia. They are a quality
Rifle with a few odd ball trends only they did. It looks like what you hAve is a duffle cut. A cut made by a GI, so it will fit in a box or bag he had on hand.

Ill try to get more pictures on here. I would venture to say the only thing its missing is the bayonet. It was found in a red canvas gun case like a gi case only red. Rifle has very little to no rust. has a 12" cleaning rod and sight hood is still on. the bolt face still has blue on it so I don't think its been fired much.

To put a value on it you’d have to show a lot more photos.

But it’s a dou, aka Brunn II in Brystica, Czechoslovakia. They are a quality
Rifle with a few odd ball trends only they did. It looks like what you hAve is a duffle cut. A cut made by a GI, so it will fit in a box or bag he had on hand.[/QUOTE

I have a few more pictures if need them

Attachments

• IMG_0306.jpg
    IMG_0306.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0309.jpg
    IMG_0309.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 60
It’s an exceptional rifle, that sight hood is sweet.. IF it weren’t cut so oddly it would be an easy 1600 + or - that odd cut is a major hit however, I’ve seen rifles like this not even sell before, most collectors won’t stomach a hugely visible cut like that. This makes it an extremely tough valuation as many people consider it ruined, others will over look the flaw but probably at a much reduced price. IMHO this rifle deserves an attempt at working over that cut, I’m curious if it’s just butt joint glued together or what, it might literally be in danger of falling apart in two pieces if so, especially if it sat in a hot attic for a long time.

Believe it or not its butt jointed. It actually fits tightly it mostly could be shot like it is. No wiggle or movement. I have no idea why it was cut there especially right there..

..I have no idea why it was cut there especially right there..

Yeah it's puzzling why some poor choices in duffle cuts were made? We've seen them right through the thickest part of the butt. Too bad because as was said it appears to be a really minty example.

Military Rifle Journal
Back