Third Party Press

Stock Butt Verticle Numbers

w4zmb

Hi everyone,

This is w4zmb - new to the forum and a k98 knowledgeable owner wannabe. Definitely not there yet! The more I learn the more I find I don't know, but it is fascinating.

Been reading a lot of great info on this sight and 1st would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post their valuable knowledge and experiences and the wonderful photos of righteous examples to examine. Especially heartfelt thanks to the ones who may have been burned in purchase and made chicken salad out of chicken sh-t by having the guts to show everyone to help save us the same fate. I'll admit I'd find it tough, so more power to you.

I've been reading & looking at sites trying to pickup a grain of truth here and there to learn, and came across this K98 at auction. It is advertised as a ww2 k98 1940 337 code vet bring back. From the ad "The stock may have been a factory mistake. Or a very very early factory replacement but it's correct and ORIGL manf. Factory" Here is a picture with the auction blotted out.

I was wondering about the vertical number stamp on the LH butt. I am trying to learn & I've never seen these on a non captured stock and would like to know more about this. Not trying to say its not true, just want to know more about it. If anyone would like to share on this - it would be most appreciated!

Wishing I was in Normandy right now.

Thanks again,
Joe

Attachments

• stock.jpg
    stock.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 76
Yugoslavian captured rifle with their serial numbers added to the stock. Horizontal would be Russian captured. The Yugoslavians also cut the front end down about an inch to make the rifles compatible with their bayonets.

This right here...

"The stock may have been a factory mistake. Or a very very early factory replacement but it's correct and ORIGL manf. Factory"

Means the guy is a carnival barking fraudster. He is 100% wrong, and likely knows it...run away, and don't stop. Germans NEVER marked them like this. Ever.

If you are looking to buy a 98k, stick around, and keep an eye on the trader section, anything that comes up for sale here will be good, because if it isn't, it will be called out in about 5 seconds.

No better bunch of guys to deal with out there either...

Depending also if it's just a Yugo stock added to a mostly original action. How much aside from the stock is wrong I wonder.

Depending also if it's just a Yugo stock added to a mostly original action. How much aside from the stock is wrong I wonder.

My thoughts exactly. Its quite common to find "restored" sporter rifles these days. This could be a matching action in a yugo stock set.

John.

Hi everyone,

This is w4zmb - new to the forum and a k98 knowledgeable owner wannabe. Definitely not there yet! The more I learn the more I find I don't know, but it is fascinating.

Been reading a lot of great info on this sight and 1st would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post their valuable knowledge and experiences and the wonderful photos of righteous examples to examine. Especially heartfelt thanks to the ones who may have been burned in purchase and made chicken salad out of chicken sh-t by having the guts to show everyone to help save us the same fate. I'll admit I'd find it tough, so more power to you.

I've been reading & looking at sites trying to pickup a grain of truth here and there to learn, and came across this K98 at auction. It is advertised as a ww2 k98 1940 337 code vet bring back. From the ad "The stock may have been a factory mistake. Or a very very early factory replacement but it's correct and ORIGL manf. Factory" Here is a picture with the auction blotted out.

I was wondering about the vertical number stamp on the LH butt. I am trying to learn & I've never seen these on a non captured stock and would like to know more about this. Not trying to say its not true, just want to know more about it. If anyone would like to share on this - it would be most appreciated!

Wishing I was in Normandy right now.

Thanks again,
Joe

If your going to start collecting K98s just be forewarned its addicting and there is a lot to know about them. I'm glad you came to the forum and asked questions before you purchased the rifle... a lot of people purchase rifles not knowing the complexities of collecting k98s and get burned. If you can spare the money purchased Mike and Bruce's (forum members) books on the k98-they are the most up-to-date resource in current k98 literature--simply a resource you cannot live without if you want to start collecting.

https://www.thirdpartypress.com/category-s/1632.htm

This right here...
……..if you are looking to buy a 98k, stick around, and keep an eye on the trader section, anything that comes up for sale here will be good, because if it isn't, it will be called out in about 5 seconds.
No better bunch of guys to deal with out there either...

pzjgr is dead on... stick around, post questions the guys here are always willing to help a new collector out. If you know what you want (maker....year..code...or if it doesn't matter) you can post a WTB thread in the Forum Trader section. You'll know exactly what your getting and often for a better price than you can get elsewhere.

Thanks for the info confirming a Yugo capture. Thought so but didn't know if there are any exceptions of this being an original stamped this way from the factory or German military ect. for some reason and wanted to know for sure. Would have posted more pics but they were not closeup enough to display any waffenamts clearly or if the bolt numbers were re stamped so wouldn't do much good. This is listed at over $2300!

I have seen a couple of nice guns I'd like to get off the Gunboards trader but I've never been quick enough on the draw! Still waiting on the C&R to make it back anyway.

Thanks for taking time to answer!

were not closeup enough to display any waffenamts clearly or if the bolt numbers were re stamped so wouldn't do much good.

Totally shocked! Not. When guns are bad you get 100 pics of the same spots with no marks, out of focus or telescopic pics where there are numbers and BS stories. Common theme.

..This is listed at over $2300!

:rofl: Of course it is.. cuz it's a genuine Notzi rifle. GLWS dude.

..nice guns I'd like to get off the Gunboards trader but I've never been quick enough on the draw!!

Sure and this one really IS true. Won't mention names ahem, cough, Bruce, but some of his literally last minutes. If it's good AND priced right they get snatched quick.

If that's worth 2300 to anyone, I better contact Lloyd's of London to insure my safes.
Good to have you aboard!

Military Rifle Journal
Back