Third Party Press

NC swp 45 Find....

Oh, I paid way too much, but thats what buck fever does to you...but I am not sweating it too much, I like the gun despite the issues.

Give it a few years and you may be surprised what it's worth. Any K98K in the wild is a good find these days..:thumbsup:

RC K98Ks in modern conflicts

pzjgr -

The RC shellac and m/m bolt don't detract from owning a proven battle rifle with an on-going history.
Along with import sales to US collectors, I was surprised to learn that the RCs went on to several
post-WWII conflicts.

The Soviet Union exported large numbers of RC K98Ks in the 1960s to revolutionary groups in West and Central
Africa during the wars for independence.
Thousands were sent to the Viet Min and later to the Viet Cong in SE Asia along with Moisins and AKs.

The insurgents in the current East Ukraine conflict have been seen with Russian-supplied RC K98Ks.

Pls see the list of state/non-state users of the post WWII Mausers at:
"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karabiner_98k"

Although overshadowed by the newer AK-47, the K98K battle record continues.

FWIW

Commisar

pzjgr -

The RC shellac and m/m bolt don't detract from owning a proven battle rifle with an on-going history.
Along with import sales to US collectors, I was surprised to learn that the RCs went on to several
post-WWII conflicts.

The Soviet Union exported large numbers of RC K98Ks in the 1960s to revolutionary groups in West and Central
Africa during the wars for independence.
Thousands were sent to the Viet Min and later to the Viet Cong in SE Asia along with Moisins and AKs.

The insurgents in the current East Ukraine conflict have been seen with Russian-supplied RC K98Ks.

Pls see the list of state/non-state users of the post WWII Mausers at:
"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karabiner_98k"

Although overshadowed by the newer AK-47, the K98K battle record continues.

FWIW

Commisar

Thanks for the input, I agree RC's do have a place for guys...

This one, however, is not an RC....just happened to have a coating of varnish over the entire gun. It is not import marked, but can't say it is a vet bring back...that being said, it isn't unusual to find guns that have been here a while to have been liberally coated with a varnish or shellac, ever the entire gun, wood, metal, everything. This was done back in the day to "preserve" and protect the entire gun.

Typically when carefully removed, it reveals a gun that has, indeed, been well protected. Especially popular with vet bring backs that went over the fireplace sort of thing. And its a real treat to find one that spent 60 years or so hanging in the house of a heavy smoker!

Military Rifle Journal
Back