Third Party Press

Questionable Band Stamp?

morticianman1990

Hello all,

Saw this mauser for sale and the barrel band "8" definitely just doesn't look right to me. Threw snips of the bolt and receiver stamps as well, which both look normal. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

Attachments

• weird stamp.PNG
    weird stamp.PNG
    137.3 KB · Views: 71
  • bolt handle stamp.PNG
    bolt handle stamp.PNG
    25.5 KB · Views: 101
  • reciever stamp.PNG
    reciever stamp.PNG
    54.8 KB · Views: 63
Thats a no from me Dawg. Numbers look off and that bayo lug should probably be milled to match the H band

The lug is about 1942 or later, should have scallop cuts between the forward and rear sections of the front band, that’s what he was getting at. The bolt and band are renumbered and these parts shown are refinished.

I saw this rifle for sale at one of those auction house "estate sale" offerings. I see a lot more fake 98k's showing up at local "estate" auctions, and people are buying them thinking they can flip them for a big profit. I see high prices being paid for either marginal guns or crap like this one, and then they end up either offering it in their shops or online at Gunbroker. The end result is usually the buyer who thought they found an estate sale gem usually end up holding the bag, and the bag is full of excrement. I really don't feel sorry for them, it's a jungle out there if you are trying to make a profit on K98k rifles, you really need to know your stuff. There are a few regular sellers on ebay who peddle this crap weekly, I see them buy and sell, and ignorant people believe they are legit guns because the seller has a lot of feedback. Vicious circle...

I saw this rifle for sale at one of those auction house "estate sale" offerings. I see a lot more fake 98k's showing up at local "estate" auctions, and people are buying them thinking they can flip them for a big profit. I see high prices being paid for either marginal guns or crap like this one, and then they end up either offering it in their shops or online at Gunbroker. The end result is usually the buyer who thought they found an estate sale gem usually end up holding the bag, and the bag is full of excrement. I really don't feel sorry for them, it's a jungle out there if you are trying to make a profit on K98k rifles, you really need to know your stuff. There are a few regular sellers on ebay who peddle this crap weekly, I see them buy and sell, and ignorant people believe they are legit guns because the seller has a lot of feedback. Vicious circle...

Yeah, I've read so much about these rifles and you definitely have to be quite discerning to make an informed decision when purchasing online. I don't know where'd I'd be without this forum! I'm just trying to acquire a piece of history, and possibly start a collection.

Thanks for the info!

The lug is about 1942 or later, should have scallop cuts between the forward and rear sections of the front band, that’s what he was getting at. The bolt and band are renumbered and these parts shown are refinished.

Ahh okay, that makes sense. Thanks!

Yeah, I've read so much about these rifles and you definitely have to be quite discerning to make an informed decision when purchasing online. I don't know where'd I'd be without this forum! I'm just trying to acquire a piece of history, and possibly start a collection.

Thanks for the info!

You’re doing the right thing by asking questions! Keep up the good work and you will be rewarded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info!

No worries, you did the right thing asking about a prospective purchase here and it payed off. I would strongly suggest checking the trader section here on this forum, it’s THE BEST way to get an honest rifle at a fair price. The K98 market is tricky and complicated and has a TON of fakery going on.

Good luck in your quest, and I’ll warn you that these get addictive, so there’s the obligatory “you were warned!” You start off with one, and then spot another good one, and you’re hooked. Keep looking!!

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might be releasing a blank/bsw receiver depot build. Stock and bolt m/m non import. Good entry rifle. Keep an eye on the trader. Lots of other good, well vetted rifles appear frequently.

Military Rifle Journal
Back