Third Party Press
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LGS find K98k 42 1940 Luftwaffe marked

Default LGS find K98k 42 1940 Luftwaffe marked

Friends:

I wandered into a small LGS this afternoon and found a couple of Mausers for sale. The first one was a parts mix that someone had unsuccessfully tried to make into a sniper rifle and it looked pretty bad. However, the second Mauser looked to be original and showed promise. After picking it up, I quickly discerned that it was an early war model marked 42 over 1940 and that all numbers appeared to match, including the solid walnut stock. Speaking of the stock, it was marked with an eagle over a "L" which piqued my interest. It had a period correct sling which was in fantastic shape. The only thing missing was the cleaning rod. Its tag was marked $450 and I had the feeling it might be worth slightly more than that.

Needless to say, I purchased it and took it home. I'm curious to hear what yall think about this one. It is the best condition wartime Mauser that I have ever found and been able to purchase.

David
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 1984Landcruiser; 06-09-2019 at 02:53 AM.

Default A few more pictures

If you look closely, you'll notice that the stock has a tiger stripe pattern.
    Attached Images Attached Images

For $450, you stole it!

Quote Originally Posted by 1984Landcruiser View Post
    Friends:

I wandered into a small LGS this afternoon and found a couple of Mausers for sale. The first one was a parts mix that someone had unsuccessfully tried to make into a sniper rifle and it looked pretty bad. However, the second Mauser looked to be original and showed promise. After picking it up, I quickly discerned that it was an early war model marked 42 over 1940 and that all numbers appeared to match, including the solid walnut stock. Speaking of the stock, it was marked with an eagle over a "L" which piqued my interest. It had a period correct sling which was in fantastic shape. The only thing missing was the cleaning rod. Its tag was marked $450 and I had the feeling it might be worth slightly more than that.

Needless to say, I purchased it and took it home. I'm curious to hear what yall think about this one. It is the best condition wartime Mauser that I have ever found and been able to purchase.

David
    Your feeling was wrong. Itís worth a lot more than that! Really nice looking rifle.

Well since really nice slings are selling for $150 now at most shows you basically got this rifle for a $300! A hell of a deal and something that doesn't happen very often, besides this is not an easy rifle to locate to and it's a walnut stock. Plus luftwaffe contract marked, is just even better.

Much congratulations to you if this is your first 98k you have bought like this, very happy for you glad you were able to get a nice one. Most who didn't know better would have not bought this rifle for $450 mainly because they had no clue what it would be worth or what it is. But when beat to crap mix matcher Russian captures are being sold for $700 that price tag is well worth the gamble.

I'll be honest I'm surprised your rifle wasn't bought during the show set up by another dealer. But I guess to some it's just a boring German military rifle if they only knew better.

By the way I'll check for a cleaning rod for you I may have one.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

Super deal for sure at prices these days! I especially like how crisp the WaA stamps stand out on the walnut stock. Congratulations on your find!

Mother of Mary that is a lucky find...It sounds like you wandered squarely into the 1980s and came back with a trophy from the easier days of collecting

Since I started collecting, one of my reach goals has been finding such a steal, but I never considered it was actually possible! Congrats again
    The walnut stock is beautiful and the metal appears in good condition.

Default 42/ 1940 Kar 98k Luftwaffe

You just got the "Deal of the Decade" for $450 on that rifle.....now go buy some lottery tickets
    while you're on a Lucky Streak !
    Tks,
    Bob32268

Was it a dealerís table? How on earth did someone mess up so bad as to sell that for $450 in 2019? Twenty seconds on the internet wouldíve set them straight. Good god.
    Actually I am the master of REAL information! Cartoon characters like you have no real arguments.
    - ShooterIke at gunboards

Holy cow !!!!