Third Party Press

LGS find K98k 42 1940 Luftwaffe marked

Found not one, but two amazing rifles, and paid less than what most people pay for one. You are one lucky man... also because you have a lovely wife who picked the second one up for you, but mostly because the two rifles.

Congrats on those finds

Thanks to all for the encouraging words and advice. Here are a couple of more photos of the bcd 4 to hold your interest.
4b9a2e44ad494d8e686ea03ce4378cd7.jpg
1d1b47b2f4fa4c498a9888e6be29e285.jpg
a9e88aeeb1c1211c924276cc0d6a9f44.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’ll never get that lucky again. This bcd4 is worth twice what the 42 code is worth. As was said, don’t ever add a base, it was in the factory getting ready to be made into a long side rail sniper when the war ended. And that rifle is 100% as captured, nothing is mismatched - the unnumbered parts are correct.

I had sn 2189 and it was a finished LSR, but I had mount 2644 from a finished late LSR, so this is right in the range of when the war ended and conversions were left unfinished. I have this exact type sn 9346.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 46
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 45
  • pic5.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 53
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 46
Agreed I'm just glad that a collector was able to get it and not a gun show dealer peddler. If some slim ball like that would have gotten it he would have drilled the remaining holes needed. Added a base, scope, and mount for it. And then would try to sell it for alot of money passing it off as original.

And in the end would have ruined a very nice variation of a K98k rifle.

You’ll never get that lucky again. This bcd4 is worth twice what the 42 code is worth. As was said, don’t ever add a base, it was in the factory getting ready to be made into a long side rail sniper when the war ended. And that rifle is 100% as captured, nothing is mismatched - the unnumbered parts are correct.

I had sn 2189 and it was a finished LSR, but I had mount 2644 from a finished late LSR, so this is right in the range of when the war ended and conversions were left unfinished. I have this exact type sn 9346.

Thanks for sharing this info. I'm looking forward to checking it out when I get home. I won't alter it since this is how it has always existed.

David

What I tell you checkered butt plate! Really love the look of that stock to I'm glad they never touched it with sandpaper

One of the first questions I asked my wife when she got home with it was whether it had a checkered buttplate! I was pretty thrilled when she said that it did! Thanks for your advice on that.

Agreed I'm just glad that a collector was able to get it and not a gun show dealer peddler. If some slim ball like that would have gotten it he would have drilled the remaining holes needed. Added a base, scope, and mount for it. And then would try to sell it for alot of money passing it off as original.

And in the end would have ruined a very nice variation of a K98k rifle.

Never fear - it will remain unmolested for as long as I own it...

Neat three hole rifle. Seems like an early one/ low serial number. MrFarb??

Don't ever try to install a base to that rifle. You will ruin the value and history of it. The rifle was not a sniper and never should be.

Congrats!

Matt this looks like a rifle from the second serial run, hence the low number. As Farb pointed out, captured prior to completion.

So here are a few more photos my wife sent tonight of the bcd 4. I see that there is a bit of a gap between the buttplate and stock - is that normal? And she says that the base of the wooden stock down near the buttplate is very rough to the touch.
1a2ad20ab0ae54c046c9cbc7bf47859c.jpg
b4c6caeff7d52315f363da70374abc8a.jpg
7070b1ed0a399f31781b1ff2f62fec07.jpg
e798a21c57f32e99411ffa972d61a853.jpg
f8e3b46f9af341283b96d98f6e836e80.jpg

Both K98k I have, have small gaps between butt plate and wood. I am assuming they once fit snug and the wood has just shrunk a bit with age. I am also guessing that’s why it feels rough, just a little dried out

To say I'm jealous would be an understatement. But a treat out of this for everyone is knowing that amazing deals like this are still out there. I need to start popping into my local shops more often. Congratulations on both. For a second I thought you were pulling everyone's chain here because who gets that lucky? Buy a scratch off already.

Friends:

I wandered into a small LGS this afternoon and found a couple of Mausers for sale. The first one was a parts mix that someone had unsuccessfully tried to make into a sniper rifle and it looked pretty bad. However, the second Mauser looked to be original and showed promise. After picking it up, I quickly discerned that it was an early war model marked 42 over 1940 and that all numbers appeared to match, including the solid walnut stock. Speaking of the stock, it was marked with an eagle over a "L" which piqued my interest. It had a period correct sling which was in fantastic shape. The only thing missing was the cleaning rod. Its tag was marked $450 and I had the feeling it might be worth slightly more than that.

Needless to say, I purchased it and took it home. I'm curious to hear what yall think about this one. It is the best condition wartime Mauser that I have ever found and been able to purchase.

David

Read this a couple time... Clearly the rifle all matches. If this rifle was found in this condition looks like sling was installed and possibly used or Issued.. I tend to find stuff like this turns up in pairs or groups as it was brought back. Be glag they decided to keep a ho-hum luger VS these two rifles..

Congrats for the find a life time !!! I do find some old school back woods shops have no clear knowledge of what an "old Mauser" can be worth. These were sold at early 90's prices when a matching 98 was 300-400 bucks.

Military Rifle Journal
Back