Third Party Press

bnz 45 seeking opinions on this please

w4zmb

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping to get expert opinions on this rifle.Sort of trying to test and vet some things I've learned or think I have learned. This bnz 45 is from an ongoing auction so id is blotted out.

To me this looks pretty good, T block serial number, the parts do look phosphated - maybe blued mix,crude machining on bolt,unstamped safety lever,2 digits on cocking piece, solder traces at front sight, svw on trigger guard, byf on floor plate. The lock cover looks odd colored like it got hot from something? Bands look correct - no spring inlet.

Wood around bolt handle and sling cut looks sharp so maybe not refinished since the war. Stock looks unstained correct, maybe butt plate and washer looks a little shiny though. Does have a take down washer so wouldn't be a "full" kreigsmodel. Can't tell if it is an late "odd size laminate" stock or not but think so.

I don't see an H stamp on the stock,how important is that?

To me the bolt numbers don't look restamped because of traces of machine marks on bolt handle and the shield, and the font looks good because of the sharp corners and shape?

Please let me know where I am mistaken on this, very curious to know what I am missing or full of crap about.

Your input is much appreciated, thanks for your time and patients!

Rookie Joe

Attachments

• bnz LH OA.jpg
    bnz LH OA.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 42
  • bnz rh oa.jpg
    bnz rh oa.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 45
  • bolt 2.jpg
    bolt 2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 42
  • bolt 3.jpg
    bolt 3.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 39
  • bolt stamps.jpg
    bolt stamps.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 50
  • brl #.jpg
    brl #.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 57
  • ck #.jpg
    ck #.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 41
  • fp 1.jpg
    fp 1.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 41
  • fp 2.jpg
    fp 2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 34
  • lh butt.jpg
    lh butt.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 73
  • lh r site.jpg
    lh r site.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 35
  • lh recv.jpg
    lh recv.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 35
  • recv 2.jpg
    recv 2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 28
  • lh top.jpg
    lh top.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 30
  • recv top.jpg
    recv top.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 36
  • rh knob.jpg
    rh knob.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 31
  • rh site.jpg
    rh site.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 24
  • rs 1.jpg
    rs 1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 24
  • slingcut.jpg
    slingcut.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 39
  • top band.jpg
    top band.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 29
Stock is not original, you can even see where a Yugo number or something has been scrubbed from the left butt. Junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

..Can't tell if it is an late "odd size laminate" stock or not but think so.

It's pretty obvious when you see it. Here's from a t block I own that Bubba ran through an industrial belt sander and basically destroyed. Odd size laminate.PNG

The stock has been replaced, probably as Farb says with a doctored up Yugoslavian stock. Maybe one of the guys has seen this rifle before and has recorded it, and you’ll be able to find out if it is a recent mod.

Here’s some tip-offs that something is amiss. I’ll use crops of the above pics.
49ae801f52f2215a3eab6597bffb9a46.jpg

Here you can see the difference in color in the circled area. This is where Yugo and Russian Capture stocks have a distinctly non-German serial number stamped. This is what it looks like when someone’s sanded off such a number.
b8fc8670c7f0963d0e5456eb9f6cd94b.jpg
560a39f1d9201eb0173699c1554768ed.jpg

In the two above pictures, both the take down disc and the recoil lug are WAYYY too shiny and bright. These have been cleaned pretty heavily, which is a red flag. Even if they were (are?) original third Reich production, they have been over cleaned.
3de4481f3f7655224751de720eb29167.jpg
a211f997411da8dbf05b43639dcad73b.jpg

I don’t like the screw in the front band, and the screw in the rear sight has been damaged removing it or putting it back or both.

So what’s going on here? This could be a restored sporter, or maybe one of the rifles gotten out of Steyr with no stock. I’d have to see more pics of the bolt to be sure about it, but that bolt shroud is very rough which is fantastic!! The stock IS incorrect which definitely reduces its value. The rest of it, if all legit, is in decent condition for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're considering purchasing this rifle, one thing to consider is the fact that there are more actions than stocks available. That being said, along with gnarly screwheads brings the value down.
Recently an action sold in the trader forum here. A quick search will find it and help give you an idea of the pictured rifle's worth.

This is fantastic! I saw the clean spot on the lh butt - but didn't think about a scrubbed number, and the screw heads monkeyed up. Shiny metal for a reason.This is why I love this site. I'm starting to get an eye for what to look for and realize just how much I don't see.

You guys have made me realize just how much I don't know and the pitfalls out there, and thanks again. I bought the volume 2 set of karabiner books yesterday to help cut my teeth on, I figure they will pay for themselves saving me heartache & cash in the first deal alone.

Appreciate it!

I saw this rifle for sale too. Definitely a cool serial number if nothing else, the stock immediately drew a red flag for me. These bnz 45s should all have the bolt take down hole in the butt plate, correct?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Military Rifle Journal
Back