Third Party Press

Mauser Standard Modell K98k Short Side Rail Conversion

If it helps, I have SSR mount with single wing locking nut matched to rifle 82118 in my collection.

Edit, listed in Spielauers book are the following additional Mauser Standard Modell SSR sniper rifles:

1. Standard Modell 1934, S/N B 10571
2. Standard Modell, S/N B 76652, comes with matching numbers mount and scope, but if you were to ask me a bit suspicious (this rifle here sold by RIA: https://www.rockislandauction.com/d...ndard-model-k98-mauser-short-side-rail-sniper)

Spielauer also shows the following scopes and mounts, serialized to 5-digit rifles:

1. Hensoldt Dialytan 4x, Nr. 61.339 with mount serialized to rifle 10.453
2. Ajack 4x90 (no focal adjustment, no rainshield), with type III mount which appears to carry a 5-digit rifle serial - but not readable
3. Zeiss Zielvier serial 49.502 with blue X, with type III mount serialized to rifle 79.180 (an original Weihrauch mount which was updated to type III spec)

Can you elaborate as to what is suspicious about this SSR Ser#B76652 . I am curious .

Other Question regards this part of your post > (If it helps, I have SSR mount with single wing locking nut matched to rifle 82118 in my collection.) Are You saying You have the Rifle and the Matching Mount or just the Mount . Does the Mount have Scope and is it Original too Mount ???? . Will You post Pics ????

Last edited:
Can you elaborate as to what is suspicious about this SSR Ser#B76652 . I am curious .

Other Question regards this part of your post > (If it helps, I have SSR mount with single wing locking nut matched to rifle 82118 in my collection.) Are You saying You have the Rifle and the Matching Mount or just the Mount . Does the Mount have Scope and is it Original too Mount ???? . Will You post Pics ????

Dave,

scope is the only one I've ever seen marked from 1-8 and not 1<->3 as normally found on SS scopes. Additionally the locking lever on the mount has the cutout to see where the pin in the base goes into - this is a feature of post WWII made versions of the SSR mount. What would you think of these two facts?

Re my item, I've said I have the mount which is matched to a particular rifle. So no, I just have the mount. It came as mount only to me. You should by the way have pictures of it, have this mount for some years now, but can mail some to you if you can't find them.

Dave,

scope is the only one I've ever seen marked from 1-8 and not 1<->3 as normally found on SS scopes. Additionally the locking lever on the mount has the cutout to see where the pin in the base goes into - this is a feature of post WWII made versions of the SSR mount. What would you think of these two facts?

Re my item, I've said I have the mount which is matched to a particular rifle. So no, I just have the mount. It came as mount only to me. You should by the way have pictures of it, have this mount for some years now, but can mail some to you if you can't find them.

Georg , your comment on the Cutout to see were Base Pin goes on Locking Lever is not Post WWII made modification of the SSR Mounts , Its actually a WWII Modification . As for the Dial being 1-8 just because its the only one You have ever seen why does this make something or anything suspect let alone suspicious . How many times have one offs been found and called fake or suspicious and then another comes to light . Perfect example for You which You should recall is the (Zeiss blc HT Scopes or the comment about only Kahles and DKL used on Sauer SSR`s) Another example collectors use to say 6X Zeiss were NOT used on SSR`s then a photo surfaced showing those assumptions were Wrong . There are differences between the Banner Standard Modell #B76652 SSR when compared to Bruces SSR . That said one should not rule out the possibility that this Standard Modell SSR may not be SS or SS Polizei but one should not rule it out of being SS or SS Polizei because of the Range Dial .

Last edited:
Dave, I am not aware of any other sniper rifle showing this modification to the locking lever. I also do not know of a single picture showing a SSR mount with this mod. But I do know of quite some of those mounts with bases which are post WWII made and are not serialized at all. So it would be easy to match them to a particular rifle. I‘m not saying it is fake, I‘m just saying it has differences from known rifles and there is a chance that it could be reproduced exactly this way - and this is why I would not trust this rifle without having had it in hands.
The 1 up to 8 marked elevation is an Army detail. All Police scopes were 1-2,3,4 and all SS scopes were 1-3 marked and for what I currently can think of all Army scopes were 1-8 marked. I do not think this can be compared with what you mention. Each sniper has to be looked at with high suspicion, and when it comes to SS sniper rifles you better ask minimum two more collectors for their opinions. If you don‘t mind me asking, did you buy this rifle?

We‘re getting off topic. Would rather discuss the rifle in question here. It could well be made up late in the war - but no idea by whoever for whoever. It dates to 1942/1943 and we do know of several type III SSR mounts which have corresponding 5 digit serial numbers on them. The making with the cutback wood and the pairing numbers on bottom would speak towards Sauer & Sohn, but why would they at this point of time convert old rifles which were not even made by them to sniper rifles? If it wasn‘t Sauer, why would another company copy their way of conversion with carefully milling the stock to accomodate the base?

Georg
I know of a completely Matching Sauer SSR Rifle that has this type of locking lever and other Depot Modification that its had done to it . I can say with 100% certainty it is a WWII Original modification and 100% legitimate Sauer SSR . It is not mine so I can not post pics .

I was not getting off track , I was using the other subject matter such as blc HT and 6X on SSR to point out the fact that to often collectors jump to a preconceived conclusion of something being not known to them or seen before as to being fake . The Standard Modell #B76652 has differences when you compare it to Bruces rifle . We have no idea when or were these Standard Models were Converted so that is still an open subject regarding the point which You make here > (but why would they at this point of time convert old rifles which were not even made by them to sniper rifles? If it wasn‘t Sauer, why would another company copy their way of conversion with carefully milling the stock to accomodate the base?)

As for looking at a Sniper Rifle with suspicion , I know this fact quite well I have been collecting German Snipers for over 20yrs the first thing I do is get others opinions and I always look at rifles like this with suspicion . Then there is the production traits I look for to compare them with known Original Examples . As for B76652 SSR I have this Rifle in hand , so I can speak from the knowledge of an in hand inspection . But let me also say I do not know were when or who converted it to a SSR , I will say with utmost of confidence it is not a Fake or PW put together . I plan to post detailed pics of this SSR in very near future .

I added images of the stock relief and 2-digit number on the bottom of the base.

That was the picture I wanted to see the most. That stock relief would be hard to replicate. That one shows some age. Do we have others to compare?

Dave, look forward to you pictures.

Thanks to all who contributed to the thread.

Wanted to post some new Pics of Rifle with its new Mount and Scope . Bruce and I were able to come to an agreement were as he got a Base Turret Rifle and some cash and I got the SSR Mauser Banner Standard Modell . I bought the Scope & Mount at SOS Show this year from a collector who is also a forum member here . I do not want to give his name unless he allows me too , I can not Thank him enough . He was kind enough to part with Scope & Mount so I could complete the SSR Rifle .

Attachments

• DSC_0848.jpg
    DSC_0848.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC_0844.jpg
    DSC_0844.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 194
  • DSC_0841.jpg
    DSC_0841.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 197
  • DSC_0843.jpg
    DSC_0843.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC_0839.jpg
    DSC_0839.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 231
  • DSC_0840.jpg
    DSC_0840.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 202
I thought scope mount mismatch is below your standard! You should get rid of it :googlie.

Kidding aside, having discussed a lot on these rifles with Xavier the last few days I now really wonder what the correct scope would be for these rifles, and who has used them.

I really like it Dave. Interesting combo for sure. One of the benefits of going to SOS is seeing this stuff in person.

It’s about time you posted this one Dave! When we saw that mount slide onto your rifle and lock up, you ran out of that room like greased lightening!

Wanted to post some new Pics of Rifle with its new Mount and Scope . Bruce and I were able to come to an agreement were as he got a Base Turret Rifle and some cash and I got the SSR Mauser Banner Standard Modell . I bought the Scope & Mount at SOS Show this year from a collector who is also a forum member here . I do not want to give his name unless he allows me too , I can not Thank him enough . He was kind enough to part with Scope & Mount so I could complete the SSR Rifle .

Oooo That stock is delicious !

Well, to make it short: the plot thickens!

Was at a dealer yesterday, checked junk K98k rifles when another junk K98k rifle (mismatching, reblued, rust pitted) fell into my hands. I first noticed the handgroove stock with the cutout for the bent bolt handle, then really got surprised by the fact that it has a cutout for an SSR base! The price was fair (sum of the parts), hence I nevertheless took it home and finally today managed to take it apart.

Inside of the stock is serialized 77.711, so surely a former Mauser Standard Modell stock. And comparing it with the stock of the rifle in question in this thread here I therefore now no longer see any doubt there was a very late "cutback" SSR conversion on basis of Mauser Standard Modell rifles was outcarried.

Attachments

• ssr_01.jpg
    ssr_01.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 72
  • ssr_02.jpg
    ssr_02.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 70
  • ssr_03.jpg
    ssr_03.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 66
  • ssr_04.jpg
    ssr_04.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 69
  • ssr_05.jpg
    ssr_05.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 64
  • ssr_06.jpg
    ssr_06.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 65
  • ssr_07.jpg
    ssr_07.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 69
I thought I should add this example to this thread for researchers of this variant.
I picked this up today from the family of a vet that indicated he brought it back after occupation duty in Germany. (Along with a number of other guns)
I posted in another thread of it’s own before finding this one.

Attachments

• 0F684881-8835-44EB-A18D-F8D174552DA6.jpeg
    0F684881-8835-44EB-A18D-F8D174552DA6.jpeg
    22.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 90FADBA5-EA84-4CE9-9B64-6D3A0F2BFCDD.jpeg
    90FADBA5-EA84-4CE9-9B64-6D3A0F2BFCDD.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 9CC55CCE-5DA0-4C0D-AB53-44D89C202A02.jpeg
    9CC55CCE-5DA0-4C0D-AB53-44D89C202A02.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 99F5798C-8914-4BE3-9A49-06B6BF03FA84.jpeg
    99F5798C-8914-4BE3-9A49-06B6BF03FA84.jpeg
    22.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 4EB4E1C2-EAB7-4DAC-9D41-3ECBC81D3F92.jpeg
    4EB4E1C2-EAB7-4DAC-9D41-3ECBC81D3F92.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 5505C84F-FA2E-4429-93B3-19B909C60226.jpeg
    5505C84F-FA2E-4429-93B3-19B909C60226.jpeg
    22.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 0A319314-DE60-4A54-959F-A47B0516E99C.jpeg
    0A319314-DE60-4A54-959F-A47B0516E99C.jpeg
    24.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 6DEAA651-8188-412A-8548-8201E80CB1C7.jpeg
    6DEAA651-8188-412A-8548-8201E80CB1C7.jpeg
    23.5 KB · Views: 74
  • F5FE8A17-192C-472D-BC90-F1E9E257D0B2.jpeg
    F5FE8A17-192C-472D-BC90-F1E9E257D0B2.jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 08B0F507-6283-4FE4-BC2F-DB3E28E862DB.jpeg
    08B0F507-6283-4FE4-BC2F-DB3E28E862DB.jpeg
    24.5 KB · Views: 68
Figured we would refresh this thread, especially as both examples came out of Ohio.
I have also moved this to the Sniper section.

Lookie here . IMHO we now have undeniable proof of who these SSR`s were made for and the 1944 date also coincides with what Mike & Bruce had given for a time frame of when these SSR were produced . This Standard Model SSR has Type 3 Mount and P.Kohler 4X the Mount most likely has the Weihrauch/HWZ Logo due to the positioning of Mounts locking lever being in line with barrel this is a typical trait of this type/varient of SSR Mount with this style of logo .

I have to give a huge Thank You to a fellow collector and forum member if not for him I likely would not be the owner of this photo !!!!.

Attachments

• SS Polizei SSR-1.jpeg
    SS Polizei SSR-1.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 67
  • SS Polizei SSR-2.jpeg
    SS Polizei SSR-2.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 64
  • SS Polizei SSR-3 Back Side of Pic.jpeg Norway:October 1944.jpeg
    SS Polizei SSR-3 Back Side of Pic.jpeg Norway:October 1944.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal