Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gew98m 1916 Danzig LK5 marked

Default Gew98m 1916 Danzig LK5 marked

Been looking for a nice Gew98m for my collection for quite some time and these can be quite elusive to find matching and nice. But when you do find them for sale they are usually priced well under what a nice bolt mismatched K98k will run you. Anyway this one was bought off gunbroker and what I like about it, is it has a Simson replaced barrel. And you all know I like anything that is related to Simson! It is a duffle cut and sadly someone tried to glue the piece back on which left a nasty glue stain under the barrel band. But I can live with that, but what's even better is the LK5 marking on the stock. In the auction pictures I spotted that little marking in one of the small corners of the screen. Glad I saw it too!

Rifle really is in nice condition for its age and has only a few mismatched parts front sight, bolt release, and a couple of the bolt components. I did notice a couple factory errors on the rifle inside the stock barrel channel they numbered it with one extra number and the cocking piece was numbered upside down. I did want to mention the front sight on the side does have e/6 marking that is very small. May have to use a magnify glass for a clearer picture.

Anyway I like and this makes be a little bit closer to finding my Simson Kar98b someday!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

Rear sight, front sight, bolt take down disk, and trigger guard

Bolt components, and stock

Couple of pictures from my collection of the Gew98m in action. Have more I will be posting up later.

That’s a really nice rifle. As you mention these have become tough to find nice/matching in recent years. First time I can recall seeing that “Ap5” marking on the rear sight base

Interesting rifle Jordan! I wonder if the Ap5 is an unidentified depot? Interestingly this exact marking location is where S28’s are marked. Random musing, with all the LK5 talk initiating in France and the fact that yours is LK5 marked and has this sight base marking which is in the typical convention of a depot, alpha numerical with upper and lower case, I have to wonder if that isn’t what this is? If so the 5th district borders France, so you would also have a close proximity, who knows.

One thing that really stands out is that the receiver appears to be as roll marked with a visual compression in the receiver face with deep lettering. First time I can recall seeing that on any G98!

Beautiful Rifle!

Can't say I have seen this Ap5 before, or in this location either.. neat rifle though, no HZa markings on the stock? The stock is Danzig made, could be original, does the serial counterstamp look like it is the same numeric characters? Often depots when they use the original stock will re-strike the same serial.

Congrats to your new rifle Jordan and thank you very much for all the photos!

Also for me it's the first time I see such a "Ap5" marking and it's very interesting, like Flynaked said maybe it's an unidentified depot. I was searching through the list with all known Wehrmacht military base in occupied France and Vichy France. There are some which start with "A" but none of them ends with a "p" nor has the letter "p" in the middle of the word. I could find only one chance and I'm not sure what to think about it, again we would have a LK5 connection.

In the LK5 thread I was writing about it, the headquarters of Luftwaffen-Kontrollkommission 5 was located since August 18, 1940 in Aix-en-Provence in Southern France.

Beside Luftwaffen-Kontrollkommission 5 in Aix-en-Provence was loacated as example the command of the Kriegsmarine Admiral Southern France and Luftwaffe Area-Fighter-Commander Southern France. In Aix-en-Provence was also based the I./Sicherungs-Regiment 200, the Sicherungs-Regiment 200 was set up on September 1, 1943. The 1st bataillon of Sicherungs-Regiment 200 was formed by the Landesschützen-Bataillon 385 and again we have a Landesschützen-Bataillon in the game.

I couldn't find something about a depot in Aix-en-Provence, maybe there is something hidden in an archive. Like I said, I'm not sure what to think about it. But like Flynaked said, the "Ap" is in the typical convention of a depot, alpha numerical with upper and lower case. In Volume II in the Rework Chapter is the document "Anschriftenverzeichnis der Feldzeugdienststellen", there I also couldnt find it. But there is a Feldzeugdienststelle with a double word city name, the abbreviation of "Groß Mittel" is "Gml". In France are more cities which start with "Aix" and in another Aix was based the Wehrmacht. It could make sense to use "Ap" because the relevant Aix is located in the Provence.

Quote:
    In Volume II in the Rework Chapter is the document "Anschriftenverzeichnis der Feldzeugdienststellen", there I also couldnt find it.

Stephan, don’t let that stop the train of thought, while certainly comprehensive and possibly complete for “this period in time” I did find three depots just this month that are not on this list but do occur in 1941 documents. I believe most were Hnza’s and not Hza’s, but I’ll go back and double check that none of them were A prefixed. Why they disappeared before the 1944 document, is anyone’s guess but they may have been casualties of the bombing campaign since depots were indeed targeted, so who knows.