Third Party Press

byf 42 on auction opinions

w4zmb

Hi Everyone,

Hope I'm not wearing out my welcome on these, if so just let me know. Did order the vol. 2 books of the Karabiner 98k series to start out with the other day, so may be able to answer a lot of my own questions soon.But I sure appreciate your time on these posts!

This byf 42 completed auction on Gunbroker looked very good to me and was wondering if I was mislead. Really interested in knowing if the the font on the bolt look good to you experts - to me it looks like the real deal as far as machine marks and font, am I wrong on this?

The WaW135 on rh stock and barrel seem to match which checks out to correct date to s/42,byf Mauserwerk, Oberndorf.

The butt plate looks cleaned or replaced to me, but the recoil bar nut on closeup pic looks okay, maybe a bit shiny but the take down washer looks good.

Does the script L L in the sling recess mean anything?

The stock, couldn't find much at all wrong.A

Any problems I missed?

This got a lot of interest and sold for $2075

here are a few pics - 80 pics in all on auction site - link to auction:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/816984665

Thanks much for your time on this!

Joe

Attachments

• pix015564093.jpg
    pix015564093.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 45
  • pix043260659.jpg
    pix043260659.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 57
  • pix076972963.jpg
    pix076972963.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 46
  • pix176746748.jpg
    pix176746748.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 38
  • pix179952108.jpg
    pix179952108.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 36
  • pix211981578.jpg
    pix211981578.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 33
  • pix219754713.jpg
    pix219754713.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 32
  • pix228840621.jpg
    pix228840621.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 43
  • pix260590466.jpg
    pix260590466.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 34
  • pix228760663.jpg
    pix228760663.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 38
  • pix298743347.jpg
    pix298743347.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 34
  • pix462727177.jpg
    pix462727177.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 34
  • pix547694181.jpg
    pix547694181.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 34
  • pix571054849.jpg
    pix571054849.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 30
  • pix632811896.jpg
    pix632811896.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 35
Seems pretty steep considering the stock isn't matching. Also pretty skeptical on the trigger guard and floor plate as the font doesn't match. Possibly depot work, but I don't see any depot markings on this one

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 58
Seems pretty steep considering the stock isn't matching. Also pretty skeptical on the trigger guard and floor plate as the font doesn't match.

I was going to stay out of this but since you mentioned it I'll add my $.02. Bottom metal is bogus IMHO being Gustloff contract supplied stuff has no place on a MO. Floor plate is from Astrawerk and the TG is from Gebr. Brehmer. They should both be straight up MO parts. FWIW this is another known character. He just buys (much from large auction houses) and flips hoping to make money by hype and hyperbole. Be advised you really need to know what you're doing again IMHO. At least he got rid of the white shag carpet and the lamp with the giant shadows. :googlie

I was going to stay out of this but since you mentioned it I'll add my $.02. Bottom metal is bogus IMHO being Gustloff contract supplied stuff has no place on a MO. Floor plate is from Astrawerk and the TG is from Gebr. Brehmer. They should both be straight up MO parts. FWIW this is another known character. He just buys (much from large auction houses) and flips hoping to make money by hype and hyperbole. Be advised you really need to know what you're doing again IMHO. At least he got rid of the white shag carpet and the lamp with the giant shadows. :googlie

Good to know - what tipped you off to the bottom parts being wrong - non MO parts?

edit -Okay reading old posts I see where the TG "d" indicates Gebr. Brehmer and "l" (L) is Astrawerke, Chemnitz - didn't realize the small letters indicate manufacturers. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Good to know - what tipped you off to the bottom parts being wrong - non MO parts?

Yeah pretty much. So Gustloff was a Nazi constructed disaster that was really only an assembler of parts made by others. Most all of them made other items, bicycles, business machines, sewing machines, etc and were repurposed to provide them with those parts. MO used their own parts nearly exclusively and especially after perfecting the stamped pieces supplied others, notably the Czech works. Seeing MO parts on another rifle (especially later) not a big deal, but seeing those parts on an MO rifle just throws a red flag immediately. Not a fan of at least one digit of the font either.

Another thing to consider. Irregularities in a metal surface aren't necessarily a big deal. When those shenanigans just happen to be right where the serial number is raises some suspicion. floor plate.PNG

Seems pretty steep considering the stock isn't matching. Also pretty skeptical on the trigger guard and floor plate as the font doesn't match. Possibly depot work, but I don't see any depot markings on this one

Thanks for the info! I hadn't noticed it.

Triggerguard and floorplate are humpjobs and stock is mismatched. Probably a matching barreled action, everything else added.

got a lot to learn, makes me wonder - thanks for your help!

You almost have to approach every rifle looking for red flags and this one has several as listed above. Also, that butt plate is pretty shiny, and I think that receiver has been pretty heavily cleaned too. The floorplate is a bad job as hump jobs go, probably ruining a nice part. Same goes for the trigger guard. Legit rifles just don’t have those issues, they could stamp numbers without doing the kind of “damage” you see here. It takes time and patience, keep at it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You almost have to approach every rifle looking for red flags and this one has several as listed above. Also, that butt plate is pretty shiny, and I think that receiver has been pretty heavily cleaned too. The floorplate is a bad job as hump jobs go, probably ruining a nice part. Same goes for the trigger guard. Legit rifles just don’t have those issues, they could stamp numbers without doing the kind of “damage” you see here. It takes time and patience, keep at it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help and good advice. it is a new area for me, and it is fascinating. Been collecting Civil War stuff for years and had to learn the same scrutiny.I think K98's are much harder to spot all the shenanigans, at least so far, just a lot more moving parts. But who doesn't love a good mystery

Military Rifle Journal
Back