Third Party Press

Back from the dead -- KM Depot full resoration

bruce98k

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2
Staff member
Guys this rifle has a history here on the forum and after four months of painstaking work, with the help of many friends, the work is finally done.
Mike and I took this on as a challenge to see how far we could take this given the fact the rifle was as stated a "tomato stake"!

Will let the jury decide here. Again, posting it up shows the full history and restoration work, so there is full accountability here.

Enjoy!

The original rifle in its as found state was presented in an earlier thread.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?24737-1940-660-29-40-KM-Depot-Build-(Tomato-Stake-Condition)&highlight=steyr+depot

Attachments

• DSC_0066.jpg
    DSC_0066.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 204
  • DSC_0067.jpg
    DSC_0067.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC_0068.jpg
    DSC_0068.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC_0069.jpg
    DSC_0069.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC_0071.jpg
    DSC_0071.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC_0072.jpg
    DSC_0072.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC_0073.jpg
    DSC_0073.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC_0078.jpg
    DSC_0078.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC_0064.jpg
    DSC_0064.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Wow, amazing resto job!

I'll give you tree fiddy for it!

It really did come out fantastic Bruce and Mike!

Crazy transformation, great work fellas!!! :thumbsup: upside down double struck proof, that’s neat.

Current thread

NHMW (New Hampshire Micro Welding) did the work on the bolt, bolt shroud, and floorplate.
Will post images of the repaired areas tomorrow.

Damn, that looks incredible !! I like it a lot. The bolt numbering is so unusual. To think I spotted it on "letgo.com" , only face to face transactions so I was searching hard core for a member in NC to pass it on to. The seller had only one distant pic and avoided questions. What an amazing journey to get it here as it is today.

I really only sourced a few parts and gave moral support. I think this rifle is one of those "perfect storms", where the rust was not heavy/wet rust, stock was dry but not sanded or damaged, and majority of parts were there. Sure, bands are missing, but its such a slight thing in the scheme of things as rare as these Kriegsmarine depot builds are. It just goes to show a lot of patience, some skill, and luck can pay off. Bruce says the bore is mint too - not sure how I'd feel about shooting it with the bolt repairs, but I'm told it would be fine (really no load bearing surfaces that were damaged).

I honestly can't believe this is the same rifle I saw at the show. Amazing save of an incredibly rare rifle.

I think the beauty is the rifle isn’t over restored, which is where Luger resto guys go too far. It’s enough to make it appealing without trying to make it look new. Masterful. Great save imo, before it wasn’t even a wall hanger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

current thread

The reference link on the opening post is active ... click on it to navigate to the original thread.

Mike, would you give me "for fiddy" for it...lol.

You talking to me, or the other Mike?

Because, yeah, I'd go fo fiddy….:thumbsup:

Just goes to show you, there are projects worth undertaking, and this was certainly one. It helps to have good friends with other extraordinarily talented friends too!

Its definitely an amazingly cool variant...I love to see lost causes saved.

Looking forward to detail shots of the micro welding....

Outstanding restoration job, hard to believe it’s the same rifle! Uncommon rifles such as this are always worth working on and saving, even in rough condition. This one turned out amazing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I honestly can't believe this is the same rifle I saw at the show. Amazing save of an incredibly rare rifle.

I must agree! That was a great job saving this. Like Mike said, not overly cleaned so that just makes it more appealing. Fantastic work.

Military Rifle Journal
Back