Third Party Press

11mm mauser bullets

Warrior1354

ax - hole
I have a custom loader that's going to load me some of these rounds for my 1871 Jaeger rifle. My gunsmith did a chamber cast and measured my muzzle and found out that the bullet's should be .453 size. But it seems like all the bullets I find for sale are .446? Does anybody have any idea where I can locate bullets for to load that are around .451-.452?

Most people do not understand that the M-71 and the M-71/84 had different bore sizes and took different ammo . Any heavy bullet for the .45 Colt will work . There are .452 /3 dia cast bullets and also .452 jacketed . My M-71 rifles shoot the jacketed much better and their barrels are made from a steel that is much harder than the soft copper jackets of pistol bullets . You could also paper patch some .446's , but that would be my last choice .

since its a rifle there are several companies that cast lead projectiles for 45/70, yep 45 colt lead will work or should. your reloader should already know this?

make sure he uses black powder substitute or BP, I would not even consider smokeless even mild weak loads

advice passed down to me

my reloading mentor "god rest his soul" told me the 1st rule of reloading NEVER USE RELOADS NOT RELOADED BY YOURSELF except when the mentor is teaching you. never buy reloads at gunshows or off the computer.

45/70 bullets are too large at .458 , you need to use .452-3 .45 Colt handgun bullets. Pressure is pressure , it does not matter what powder you use to generate it . A light pressure load of a slow pistol or fast rifle powder will be fine if you make the same pressure as the original load . Since black powder is an explosive and smokeless powder is a progressive burn , smokeless is easier on the old rifles . US companies have been selling smokeless loads for the 1873 Trapdoor for about a 100 years now and the TD is not as strong as the bolt M-71 Mauser . A .45 Colt bullet is about as easy to find as anything , everyone sells them . Try Midway USA or Graff & sons .

SR-4759 is a good powder choice , one of the best for me , that is the burning rate range you are looking for . Also the bullet you showed looks to be a good one to start with . A good dia , weight , and it is gas checked .

Seems like the smokeless powder that I keep coming across being used in these rifles ernie8 is roughly 28 grains of SR 4759 IMR.

Also would these bullets work ernie?

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/74348

SR4759 is good for many of the old black powder cartridge military rifles. I use it in 11mm Gras, 45/70, 11mm Spanish etc. I personally believe 28 grains may be high for a starting point, at least. I use 23 grains in my 11mm 71/84 Mausers, but of course I can't officially recommend it. I find that the .446 bullets shoot about 16" high with the 23 grains at 100 meters.

I was told by the board moderator not to talk personally about loads or what is safe to shoot . So all I will say is the 11 mm Mauser case and the 45/70 case have about the same capacity . Look at published 45/70 data for the old trapdoor rifles , they are from the same time period as the Mauser and are not as strong an action .

Most people do not understand that the M-71 and the M-71/84 had different bore sizes and took different ammo . Any heavy bullet for the .45 Colt will work . There are .452 /3 dia cast bullets and also .452 jacketed . My M-71 rifles shoot the jacketed much better and their barrels are made from a steel that is much harder than the soft copper jackets of pistol bullets . You could also paper patch some .446's , but that would be my last choice .

Really??? Mine are both marked 10.95. It would seem to be very un economical to have to supply different ammo for converted werders , m71’s and 71-84’s

Yes , really . If you measure land and groove size of M-71's and 71/84's you will find they are different . If you compare original M-71 ammo with original 84 ammo you will see they have different bullets and the boxes are marked differently . The updated 84 ammo will still fire in the older model rifles with no problem . So if you want to make accurate ammo using modern components it is best to use the right size stuff .

I wanted to add to this thread. I tried to buy SR 4759 IMR powder the other day and found out that it is no longer being made and its discontinued. What is another smokeless powder to use in the 1871 Mauser rifles that is just like this brand that I can use.

Yes SR-4759 was discontinued , A friend and I bought the last 100 lbs we could find . Try AA-5744 instead, add about 5% to the SR-4759 data for the same load .

Military Rifle Journal
Back