Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gew 98 Sniper Rifles during ww2?

Default Gew 98 Sniper Rifles during ww2?

So I just received the weirdest items.. Gew 98 Sniper rifles that look to be Russian Captures. Since the Russians lost WW1 and I doubt they started their shellac/rebluing until after WW2 it leaves me scratching my head as to the story behind these.

No pictures at the moment. The importer had hidden these away for investment I guess and I got ahold of them. Three in all. Not matching, typical RC style refurbishment with no scope/mount but the bases are still there and I'm confident they are legit and not something done stateside.

My only guess is that during WW2 the Germans used Gew 98 snipers and these got captured or surrendered to the Ruskies?

Anyone have any idea?

Will try to grab some pictures later.

There are certainly G98 snipers seen in period pictures so I donít see why not. Itís just going to take a good looking over to really know whatís going on. Iíve seen a couple RC rifles recently that Iíve never observed before, at the last Tulsa show there was a G12/34 in full correct hardware and stock and all, that was a first on me.

Here's those pictures.
    The tags on them say they were imported back in 2005. Listed as "Russian Captures".

I couldn't find any post WW1 German markings on it. Also a straight bolt leaves me scratching my head.

That is very odd. Hopfully someone in the know on these comes along soon.

It's a 1917 WMO manufactured 'N' block sniper. These were made for German snipers serving in Turkey during WWI. This gun appears to have the correct base style compared to the other known examples, albeit dipped. It's thought that this block of rifles all used the same base style. Actually neat that this one still retains them.

Most that have been recovered are ex-snipers. WMO was the only commercial firm in the Imperial era to manufacture snipers. By either having a separate production line for these in house, or by possibly farming the base and optics setting out to the same subcontractor which is the more likely option. There are also standard rifles from the 'n' block, these failed accuracy or some other criteria.

Some of these can be found in wonderful condition despite remaining in Turkey. This example would be a nice project, pretty surprised it still has it's bases and numbered hardware.
    Last edited by mauser1908; 06-19-2019 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser1908 View Post
    It's a WMO manufactured 'N' block sniper. These were made for German snipers serving in Turkey during WWI. This gun appears to have the correct base style compared to the other known examples, albeit dipped. It's thought that this block of rifles all used the same base style. Actually neat that this one still retains them.

Most that have been recovered are ex-snipers. WMO was the only commercial firm in the Imperial era to manufacture snipers. By either having a separate production line for these in house, or by possibly farming the base and optics setting out to the same subcontractor. There are also standard rifles from the 'n' block, these failed accuracy or some other criteria.

Some of these can be found in wonderful condition despite remaining in Turkey. This example would be a nice project, pretty surprised it still has it's bases and numbered hardware.
    Wow.. That's a wealth of information. I would have never guessed Turkey.(Neither did the importer I guess).
    Now I'm have delusions of this rifle being at gallipoli!

What type mount/scope would be most realistic for this rifle?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ncreptile View Post
    Wow.. That's a wealth of information. I would have never guessed Turkey.(Neither did the importer I guess).
    Now I'm have delusions of this rifle being at gallipoli!

What type mount/scope would be most realistic for this rifle?

Thank you!
    Here is a good place to start: http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....Research/page8

I'm not knowledgeable on these, there are probably two or three different scope manufacturers that would be appropriate. Wolfgang (Amberg) is definitely who you want to talk to in regard to Imperial snipers and I'm pretty sure he has this variant.

Does the stock match? The lack of cutout is appropriate for a WMO 'n' block sniper. Unlike the state arsenal guns that were relieved.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser1908 View Post
    Does the stock match? The lack of cutout is appropriate for a WMO 'n' block sniper. Unlike the state arsenal guns that were relieved.
    I'm not sure. Going off memory most of it was mismatching. That said I have two others so I'll check them all over once I get a moment and see.