Third Party Press

Gew 98 Sniper Rifles during ww2?

ncreptile

So I just received the weirdest items.. Gew 98 Sniper rifles that look to be Russian Captures. Since the Russians lost WW1 and I doubt they started their shellac/rebluing until after WW2 it leaves me scratching my head as to the story behind these.

No pictures at the moment. The importer had hidden these away for investment I guess and I got ahold of them. Three in all. Not matching, typical RC style refurbishment with no scope/mount but the bases are still there and I'm confident they are legit and not something done stateside.

My only guess is that during WW2 the Germans used Gew 98 snipers and these got captured or surrendered to the Ruskies?

Anyone have any idea?

Will try to grab some pictures later.

There are certainly G98 snipers seen in period pictures so I don’t see why not. It’s just going to take a good looking over to really know what’s going on. I’ve seen a couple RC rifles recently that I’ve never observed before, at the last Tulsa show there was a G12/34 in full correct hardware and stock and all, that was a first on me.

Here's those pictures.
The tags on them say they were imported back in 2005. Listed as "Russian Captures".

Z6WKqUP.jpg

JFDVUbc.jpg

rTzvc9R.jpg

GxW5s9C.jpg

PMy2wH0.jpg

F1SUJII.jpg

I couldn't find any post WW1 German markings on it. Also a straight bolt leaves me scratching my head.

It's a 1917 WMO manufactured 'N' block sniper. These were made for German snipers serving in Turkey during WWI. This gun appears to have the correct base style compared to the other known examples, albeit dipped. It's thought that this block of rifles all used the same base style. Actually neat that this one still retains them.

Most that have been recovered are ex-snipers. WMO was the only commercial firm in the Imperial era to manufacture snipers. By either having a separate production line for these in house, or by possibly farming the base and optics setting out to the same subcontractor which is the more likely option. There are also standard rifles from the 'n' block, these failed accuracy or some other criteria.

Some of these can be found in wonderful condition despite remaining in Turkey. This example would be a nice project, pretty surprised it still has it's bases and numbered hardware.

Last edited:
It's a WMO manufactured 'N' block sniper. These were made for German snipers serving in Turkey during WWI. This gun appears to have the correct base style compared to the other known examples, albeit dipped. It's thought that this block of rifles all used the same base style. Actually neat that this one still retains them.

Most that have been recovered are ex-snipers. WMO was the only commercial firm in the Imperial era to manufacture snipers. By either having a separate production line for these in house, or by possibly farming the base and optics setting out to the same subcontractor. There are also standard rifles from the 'n' block, these failed accuracy or some other criteria.

Some of these can be found in wonderful condition despite remaining in Turkey. This example would be a nice project, pretty surprised it still has it's bases and numbered hardware.

Wow.. That's a wealth of information. I would have never guessed Turkey.(Neither did the importer I guess).
Now I'm have delusions of this rifle being at gallipoli!

What type mount/scope would be most realistic for this rifle?

Thank you!

Wow.. That's a wealth of information. I would have never guessed Turkey.(Neither did the importer I guess).
Now I'm have delusions of this rifle being at gallipoli!

What type mount/scope would be most realistic for this rifle?

Thank you!

Here is a good place to start: http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?7081-WW1-Oberndorf-Gew-98-Sniper-Rifle-Research/page8

I'm not knowledgeable on these, there are probably two or three different scope manufacturers that would be appropriate. Wolfgang (Amberg) is definitely who you want to talk to in regard to Imperial snipers and I'm pretty sure he has this variant.

Does the stock match? The lack of cutout is appropriate for a WMO 'n' block sniper. Unlike the state arsenal guns that were relieved.

Does the stock match? The lack of cutout is appropriate for a WMO 'n' block sniper. Unlike the state arsenal guns that were relieved.

I'm not sure. Going off memory most of it was mismatching. That said I have two others so I'll check them all over once I get a moment and see.

Could be anything, the Turks were very friendly with the USSR after WWI (they acted as intermediaries between the two at first) and Germany got caught selling the USSR rifles in the aftermath of WWI, - specifically a large shipment of rifles out of Stettin. Seeckt made a point of cooperating with the USSR, as much as anything because two pariah's thrown together by the lost war, but also common enemies (Poland, England and France - England had a little war going with the USSR right after WWI, they actually were responsible for the Freikorps activities in and around Riga)and lastly, the natural affinity Germany as always held with Russia (outside of the idiocy of WWII.. Germany has always profited more when she looked east for friends than looking west, - Russians are predictable and reliable, the French, English and Americans make very poor and unreliable allies)

Yes, they would use those earlier rifles and rework them for accuracy. Germany focused more on its mobilization until seeing Russian snipers on The Eastern Front, then they revamped their sniper program. They used 98’s and Radom Mausers. I think for a Mauser to be put in the “sniper class” it should have fired 5 rounds in a 4.1 MOA or 105mm

Attachments

• 1F44266B-3688-4D0F-8991-D9A9D1F934A8.jpg
    1F44266B-3688-4D0F-8991-D9A9D1F934A8.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 28

Military Rifle Journal
Back