Third Party Press

MP40 barrel proof identification

Rome143

I recently bought a MP38/40 from Morphy auction house, its a Inland tube gun.
they say the front site an barrel are from a MP38 an the rest of the gun minus the receiver are from a MP40.
There are three Proof marks on the barrel, the first one I recognize a military acceptance proof.
The bottom one I have found some information on, but still not Sure.
The middle stamp, I haven,t found anything on.
Anyone input would be Appreciated.

Thank You.

Attachments

• mp 38.jpg
    mp 38.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 58
  • mp38-1.jpg
    mp38-1.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 54
  • mp38.jpg
    mp38.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 57
The circle with the W is stamped in barrels made by Steyr during WW2, it’s a company logo for the barrel works. The StG stands for Steirische Gußstahlwerke AG, the barrel blank provider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MP40 proof marks

First Thank you ,for your Help with this question.
There,s No other markings on the Barrel.
My thought is , Its a Military proof replacement barrel.
Do you feel that could be correct.

It’s possible, If it doesn’t have a serial on it that matches the front sight then it probably is. A lot of these were reworked I think, I had a matching kit that was heavily reworked.

If you don't mind sharing what was the sale price? Wondering how tube guns are doing price wise.

If that barrel left a factory mated to a MP.38/40 it would be stamped with the serial number and letter suffix of the weapon. The barrel was inspected by Steyr. It could have been an armorer replacement. Had it been replaced I believe it would have been numbered to the MP by the armorer / waffenmeister. The barrels and front and rear sights were numbered for a reason. Congrats in any event, MP.40s are quite cool and fun.

Last edited:
Mp38/40 barrel proof identification

I got my Gun threw Morphy Gun Auctions.
April 24-25. Lot #1002
Total Price including Buyers Premium $13,200

That's a good price, particularly with that MP.38 receiver. Is it a rewatted original MP.38 receiver or a manufactured tube?

Mp38/40 barrel proof identification

Unfortunately its a manufactured Inland tube.
The rest of the Gun is mismatched WW2 Era parts, I believe.
Its not the C&R I wanted, the price on all matching original is threw the Roof.
I feel I did pretty good on this one Price wise, I got 7 original magazines plus a loader.

You did good, tube guns shoot just as good as originals, and frankly speaking I think the time to buy C&R mg’s has passed. I have an Erb MP40 and nobody that has ever shot it could tell it wasn’t WW2 made.

I had a thoroughly mismatched gun that the form 4 called an MP-38/40. It had a milled tube that looked identical to the one in the OP's photos, with the sliding bolt handle cut out. The tube had the serial number visible only, with no spurious German markings. Underneath, hidden by the stock, it was marked, "Inland Arms, Austin, TX", IIRC. It shot quite well. I did trade it off when my first matching MP-40 came along.

Military Rifle Journal
Back