Third Party Press

Slam fire

Kar43

Good day to all,

I took the k43 ac 44 out to the range today for the first time trying to get the gas system working properly. I had to switch to the medium gas setting that was supplied with apfeltor’s kit. That seemed to work fine.

The only problem I had was with slam fires and the ammo I was using was ppu 198 grain commercial. I’m guessing it’s soft commercial primer ammo that was the problem. What type of military brass would be good for this rifle to prevent slam fires with a solid hard primer? I’m just afraid to blow it to pieces with the wrong overpowered ammo.

Other than the slam fire issue, the rifle runs extremely well.

Thanks for the help.

I’ve fired a fair bit of that and S&B Ammo from k43s and never had a slam fire...I’d be checking over the gun.

Firing pin protrusion sounds like a culprit or could even be cartridge / bullet incompatibility with the chamber (either or both being the culprit defect). An OOB KB could destroy a G/K.43 and hurt you. I’ve had it happen with a match chamber and NATO spec 7.62 NATO and it banana peeled the bottom of a mag and blew out an extractor, and brass fragment hot gassed me in the face. Always wear eye protection. No permanent damage and some tiny facial cuts, but a G/K could have gone mini-grenade.

I had two slam fires and then took the gun apart looked over the firing pin and put it back together and switched out the gas to the medium gas setting from kit and never had another the rest of the time.

I looked over the rest of the gun and can’t find any deformities or cracks of any kind.

I don’t know it was odd and then it stopped and the rifle shot fine for the rest of the day.

Could have been the firing pin was stuck extruded more than it should have, as a result of powder or buildup in the FP hole in the bolt. That would do that. Regardless, what could be inconvenient in a regular semi-auto as a result of OOB could be catastrophic in a G/K.43. I wouldn't shoot a decent untuned, uninspected G./K.43 with anything hot (i.e., regular loads) or surplus than I would a German occupation GP.35 made after the WaA103 inspection range with +P. That's just me.

Good day to all,

I took the k43 ac 44 out to the range today for the first time trying to get the gas system working properly. I had to switch to the medium gas setting that was supplied with apfeltor’s kit. That seemed to work fine.

The only problem I had was with slam fires and the ammo I was using was ppu 198 grain commercial. I’m guessing it’s soft commercial primer ammo that was the problem. What type of military brass would be good for this rifle to prevent slam fires with a solid hard primer? I’m just afraid to blow it to pieces with the wrong overpowered ammo.

Other than the slam fire issue, the rifle runs extremely well.

Thanks for the help.

I had the same thing happen with my AC45 K43 several years ago. In my case it was the commercial primers that set off easy as it did not do this with any of the milsurp ammo I had with me. Also it had a brand new set of recoil springs. Mine slam fired a 5 round burst. Now that my springs are broken in it no longer does that.

Military Rifle Journal
Back