Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1940 42 Code sporterization restoration

Default 1940 42 Code sporterization restoration

Need some help/advise on a restore I am working on. I picked up a heavily sporterized 42 code a couple of months ago. Bolt is all matching and also matches the receiver/barrel including the trigger guard bolts and lock screws (trigger guard is matching to itelf but not the reciever). Put it on a Norwegian Luftwaffe stock I had sitting around. Everything is going well so far and I have manufacturer correct (WaA655) front and rear sights reinstalled after removing the lyman front and rear sights.

Next step is to get the rear peep lyman holes welded up and smoothed out and then work on the bluing. The front sight has a small grove for the pin that the lyman used but I may leave that. I've tossed around getting the rifle re-blued but may try to work with what it has on it first. I'm just not sure how to go about aging the re-blue. It looks like it was buffed quite heavily on the receiver and barrel. I would like to tone the buff down and age it a bit to match the other unmolested parts. Any thoughts on what might work best?

Hard to tell how the bluing looks exactly from the pictures. Does look a bit more polished than average. I would focus on getting the white bolt parts reblued and plugging the screw holes. Some people put JB weld in the screw holes. Tends to work decent enough. But it certainly looks good so far!

John.

Thank you for the comments. I would describe the bluing as glazed or glossed. I think if I could find a way to rough it up and deglaze it would look good. I'll try to get a few more pics of the blu. Comparing it to my BYF 42, it is the same tone, gust glossed. Which is why I'm leaning toward salvaging the blu versus rebluing.

Here is a good pic showing the difference in bluing.

Last edited by fockerolfe; 06-22-2019 at 07:08 PM.

Hey Buddy, is that an E/4 in your pocket?

Personally I'd leave it as is. BYF had some pretty good finish bluing upon manufacture up into 1941. I'd be more irked with the bench vise marks in the wood than that finish.

Agree with above. Leave as is. Looks pretty darned good in my opinion.

If your real concerned about the receiver holes an inexpensive fix would be some plugs. The kind you see on newly made rifles with holes drilled for scope mounting.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1354 View Post
    If your real concerned about the receiver holes an inexpensive fix would be some plugs. The kind you see on newly made rifles with holes drilled for scope mounting.
    I had thought about getting small screws for the holes and then grinding them flat and rust bluing them. That should cover them up nicely without welding. What bothers me more is the super buff blu. Would like to tone it down a bit. I'm thinking maybe some 1500 grit and oil or different grades of steel wool.

Your rifle is always cocked and safety never engaged on the pictures. I hope you didn't have a round in your chamber and this is not the way you are storing it.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Absolut View Post
    Your rifle is always cocked and safety never engaged on the pictures. I hope you didn't have a round in your chamber and this is not the way you are storing it.
    Thanks for the reminder, I had a couple rifles laying around the house without a round in them. Pheww!!!