Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A $3200 Gew98?

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Yeah sure it is. This 'buyer' 99th is one of about 3 scenarios best I can figure. Look at his feedback. All buys and even better look at the character list he's buying from. I totally believe...
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

I just want everyone to know if you want to give me that type of money for some of my Gew98 rifles I will gladly pay free shipping, a free six pack of Coors Light your way, and a free massage session at an Asian run massage parlor!
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

It's unfortunate for that buyer, a very common rifle that could have been found borderline un-issued for that price.

Hopefully the dope pays for it, learning is best taken to heart through mistakes and this is a whopper... he will be lucky to get $800 for this rifle, Larry seems to work miracles at auction, but these things seem to happen more these days that a decade or two ago.

Well, I did not know that 4 hours of "cleaning" the metal with 180 grit sandpaper would be rewarded with $800/hour. He made it soooo purdy but other than the buyer, nobody valued the effort.

Well look who the seller is first. I've been told by a couple people he does some shady things but I can't see anything bad about him because I sold some stuff to him before and I bought some stuff from him before.

With his auctions you have to watch for the end to see what’s mismatched. I kept thinking “what about the bolt...?” And then boom, there it was. Predictable shit.
    Actually I am the master of REAL information! Cartoon characters like you have no real arguments.
    - ShooterIke at gunboards

Larry is first rate imo, don't know him and never bought from him, but he shows what he is selling (guy even does the BC! Who does that these days, hell collectors on the forums miss it, but he catches BC and bolt BF's) and offers a no questions asked return, - I also trend and it is very rare to catch him relist something sketchy... if this guy is a humper or a shiller, I am a democrat (fat chance), the guy is the best thing about GB and about the only reason to go there.

That said, he doesn't know shineola about German military rifles, not even with Mike's and Bruce's books in front of him... but that is hardly a crime. CB bought from him and gave the best advice, - know what you are bidding on and you do not have to worry about getting screwed (he probably said it more gracefully, but the intent is the same...)

I agree to that know what you're buying and I have bought from Larry before that's where I got my 1916 erfurt Gew98 from. The only thing that I get a little irritated with Larry is when he auctions off a rifle as matching but in reality it's not. But again that goes back to the buyer who has to look at all the pictures and reads the description very careful. From the people that I have talked to that knows Larry very well he buys a lot of stuff and has a couple people working for him in this business. From what I've been told he buys out whole collections at a time which has some pretty neat stuff. But with some collections out there, you have some bad stuff in there.

So in the end the only way I can figure out somebody paying $3,200 for a rifle like this is they must have been hypnotized by that gray blanket. Or the buyer just had to have that rifle for his collection.

And like I have stated before if anybody on here just has to have a rifle like this for their collection. How many you want I'm driving to meet you!
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers