Third Party Press

Hello

On January 3, 1946 the Queen Mary docked in New York Harbor carrying my father, a member of the 82nd Airborne, and a duffel bag containing a Mod 98 1941 ar. As a Pennsylvanian my father intentions were simply to bring home a deer rifle. After arriving home he would soon marry my mother and move to Illinois, a state that doesn't allow rifles to be used for deer hunting. The rifle became a dust collector in the closet.

On occasion Dad would bring the Mauser out and we'd go to the quarry to put a few rounds down range with my older brother and me. Throughout my youth the rifle remained a curiosity. There is an insert and floor plate with magazine to convert the 7.92 x 57 to 22LR. This made it a training tool for Dad to teach his boys to shoot an affordable caliber. As we grew into young men the insert stayed home and shoulders became bruised from the mule like kick.

Dad's been gone now since 2005 and the Mauser is now a resident of my gun safe. Sadly when Dad brought the rifle home he sporterized the stock. I'm now looking for a period correct complete stock.

JackReilly

Welcome Jack. Unfortunately this happened to many bringbacks way back then. Some real pros here on 98ks that I am sure will direct you in the right direction.

I have 10 original stocks coming from overseas in about a week. Technically you would need a cupped laminate wood stock to "look correct". Matching the serial numbers though is out of the question in reality. I'll see what I'm getting in. Aside from that stocks are out there but in various conditions both originals and reworks. It can be a headache sifting through them. Us here can help guide you through the process if you want. Welcome aboard, sounds like the rifle means a lot to you. And an ar41 is not an easy year/code to find. Photos would be good, we'd all love to see it.

Photo?

100_0283.jpg100_0283.jpg100_0283.jpg

Here are a couple photos. Once I get used to using the forum I'll try to do better.

Jack

Attachments

• 100_0282.jpg
    100_0282.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_0284.jpg
    100_0284.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 14
Hey Jack, good to have you aboard!
Some photos outdoors in indirect sunlight usually turn out nice.

Military Rifle Journal
Back