Third Party Press

1891 Argentine mauser sights

Scooter24

I picked up a beautiful 1891 Argentine mauser that was made in 1899. Someone reblued it at some point other than that there isnt much wrong with it, clean bore. All around it's a beautiful gun. I actually plan on using it on a hog hunt this Aug, I wana let the old girl have some fun again. I took it to the range and put a few rounds through it and let me tell ya it's a shooter! WIndage was spot on but its shooting high. I ran out of time so I really couldn't change anything. I only shot it at 50 yards, I probably need to shoot at 100. At 50 yards I was aiming 3 inches below center and hitting 1.5 to 2 inches above center. My sight picture was me placing the top of the front sight level with the rear sight. My question is are these sighted designed to be used that way? I wana shoot at 100 yards and see what it does. Next Time I'm out I want to shoot at 50 again and change my sight picture. I wana hold the front sight half way down the v of the rear sight and see what it does. What do you guys think? hold the top of the front sight level with the top of the rear or half way down? I'm still learning about these mausers and how they were designed to be used as far as the sights go.

Last edited:
Clean the front sight well and add some epoxy and then file down to the best sight picture and zero for you . It can always be removed later .

Clean the front sight well and add some epoxy and then file down to the best sight picture and zero for you . It can always be removed later .

Yeah I guess that would be one way to make the front sight taller. Just want sure if these rifles were meant to have the sights held a certain way.

Ok I also have another question related to the rear sights of this rifle. I was always under the assumption that you dont stand the rear sight up. But I've seen people do both, why is that? Is one way correct and the other isnt?

Attachments

• 20190614_145436.jpg
    20190614_145436.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 27
Ok I also have another question related to the rear sights of this rifle. I was always under the assumption that you dont stand the rear sight up. But I've seen people do both, why is that? Is one way correct and the other isnt?

Well I feel so stupid, the rear sight starts at 400 meters not 100 meters. For some reason I thought it was 100 meter sight. That explains why it shoots so high Haha.

Military Rifle Journal
Back