Third Party Press

Double stamped "Mod. 98" on AR44 receiver?

GulagACapella

Recently acquired this mismatched shooter from a forum member. When examining the rifle I found what appears to be a double stamping of "Mod. 98" on the receiver. Since Oberndorf acquired these receivers from Borsigwalde, did they just stamp over the old "Mod. 98" to keep their manufacturing process the same? Or is this double stamp just a common error? The example AR44 marked Oberndorf rifle in Karabiner K98k book doesn't show this part of the receiver.

Attachments

• 20190705_141727.jpg
    20190705_141727.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 177
They were marked at Borsigwalde as the font is different on their receivers than at Oberndorf, not a common mistake per se but you do see it on occasion. Here’s one I recently got that makes my head hurt.

Attachments

• B1483C24-0EBA-4698-90B3-DA3102C85075.jpg
    B1483C24-0EBA-4698-90B3-DA3102C85075.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 128
They were marked at Borsigwalde as the font is different on their receivers than at Oberndorf, not a common mistake per se but you do see it on occasion. Here’s one I recently got that makes my head hurt.

Not if you look at it with 3D glasses. :thumbsup:

That one actually cracked my spectacles! Is the rest of the trainer pretty good?

Haven’t had a cloudy day to take my own pictures yet, no other double stamping on it.

Attachments

• E5EE5643-5877-4936-86FF-C539973DEED7.jpeg
    E5EE5643-5877-4936-86FF-C539973DEED7.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 46
Clay, I really can't bear the possibility of you suffering in pain, so I'll have to take that off your hands. :laugh: Really, that's a nice one.

That was my old gun! I saw that didn't think much of it as just simply a late war factory error! Take good care of my old k98 ;)

Haha, okay I won’t take any pictures then! Don’t worry Ken, I think this SS is even nicer, you’re gonna enjoy it :biggrin1:

The hand stamped ar44’s sure are neat, I’ll have to dig up another some day! I would love to find one in Phosphate, one sold a year or probably more ago that I missed and was hoping it would show up on the forum, never did see it though.

Now, now keep the camera rolling. You know WreckTangle and myself were kidding and we'll need a full work up. Ah yes, the SS .22 is very nice thanks to you, Rob and a chance meeting. :thumbsup:

Haha, okay I won’t take any pictures then! Don’t worry Ken, I think this SS is even nicer, you’re gonna enjoy it :biggrin1:

The hand stamped ar44’s sure are neat, I’ll have to dig up another some day! I would love to find one in Phosphate, one sold a year or probably more ago that I missed and was hoping it would show up on the forum, never did see it though.

On the subject of ar44's, any idea on what's going on with this serial number on the right of the receiver of my double stamp?

Attachments

• 20190707_165153.jpg
    20190707_165153.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 32
I would love to find one in Phosphate, one sold a year or probably more ago that I missed and was hoping it would show up on the forum, never did see it though.

Might be the one I bought? I’ll post a few pics. It’s an L block if that sounds like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Postwar Yugo number.

That would go a long way in explaining the rifle being a total mismatch. It lacks a Yugo Crest and vertical stock serial number. Does this sound like a Yugo capture action that someone stateside put into new furniture?

Last edited:
Might be the one I bought? I’ll post a few pics. It’s an L block if that sounds like it.

This is ringing a bell, I remember there was a good reason I didn’t bid, it’s all adding up. Would love to see it!

Thanks! Haven’t shot one yet, I’ve got a Suhl that falls into the lots of things done to it category so it’s going to be the shooter.

Military Rifle Journal
Back