Third Party Press

K98 with Plugged barrel

TonyJ

Guys,
I picked this rifle up knowing it had a plugged barrel.
It was a display piece at local VFW.
My question is can the plug be removed or is it a scrap metal.
If so I will sell for a parts rifle.
Not sure what it is plugged with but it seems to be a hard material , definitely not lead.
I tried drilling it out with a metal bit with no luck, but didn't get to aggressive
Not sure if anyone has come across a similar situation.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Attachments

• k981.jpg
    k981.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 110
  • k984.jpg
    k984.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 134
  • k9814.jpg
    k9814.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 106
  • k9830.jpg
    k9830.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 118
  • k9849.jpg
    k9849.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 98
  • k9824.jpg
    k9824.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 91
  • k9834.jpg
    k9834.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 83
  • k9838.jpg
    k9838.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 82
I wish I had advice on the plug, but I do not. I do know that you should avoid parting it out. It has some issues, but is a cool variation.

What all on the rifle matches? Bolt? Bands?

I don't think that stock is appropriate for the rifle, but the base rifle appears to be luftwaffe depot.

I concur, certainly do not parts it out, a collector will pay nicely for it, especially if its matching...not as much as if it were functional, but certainly its worth selling complete, as is...

Neat rifle, no way it’s matching though with the parts that are on it. These often have a steel rod hydraulically pressed in from both the chamber and muzzle end unfortunately.

Any way to tell if the plug is magnetic? Might be crazy, but perhaps a brass rod and a sharp rap from a hammer would knock it out?

Plugged K98

Hi All, and thanks for the replies,
The Bolt Assembly is all matching , and matches the Receiver.
The trigger guard and bottom metal does not match,
I attached a few more pictures,

Attachments

• k9813.jpg
    k9813.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 33
  • k9819.jpg
    k9819.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 29
  • k9829.jpg
    k9829.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 35
  • k983.jpg
    k983.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 41
  • k9818.jpg
    k9818.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 37
  • k9840.jpg
    k9840.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 41
  • k987.jpg
    k987.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 47
I've had them before but WW1 Gewehres, not WW2 K98k's. Mine were plugged from both ends and were "bond rifles". I wouldn't bother with the barrel. You'd need a barrel and stock set to make it right. Can be done easily but cost of repair compared to finished value would be close to the same.

K98

I did try checking how big ( length) the plug was by inserting a rod and it looked
To be maybe 2 to 3” in length right at the receiver end.

I've had them before but WW1 Gewehres, not WW2 K98k's. Mine were plugged from both ends and were "bond rifles". I wouldn't bother with the barrel. You'd need a barrel and stock set to make it right. Can be done easily but cost of repair compared to finished value would be close to the same.

Last edited:
You can always try or have a gunsmith try to drive the plug out but I'd bet 100% that there would be damage to the bore enough to keep me from shooting it.

I had a gun smith remove a plug in the barrel of my Mosin. He beat the hell out of it with a brass rod and rubber mallet, mind you the plug in mine was a chunk of lead

I also had a rifle from a VFW. It was a Krag. Like someone else stated the rods ( 2 ) were tapered and driven in from both ends. His made it impossible to remove them. FWIW just leave it alone and sell it for what it is, a great representative piece of WW2 but strictly a wall hanger. MikeR

K98

Yea, might sell complete it or hold onto it as is.

I also had a rifle from a VFW. It was a Krag. Like someone else stated the rods ( 2 ) were tapered and driven in from both ends. His made it impossible to remove them. FWIW just leave it alone and sell it for what it is, a great representative piece of WW2 but strictly a wall hanger. MikeR

Military Rifle Journal
Back