Third Party Press

G98/40 Armorer's barrel bands?

Mauser4me

Hey there, so I recently bought some G98/40 barrel bands off of eBay (I had posted a link a few days ago when they had stock - they're sold out now), and I was fully expecting them to be serial numbered, but they weren't. The bayonet lug rail is WaA 63 marked on the underside, and the rear band is WaA 63 marked on next to the sling mount. I don't really believe someone was counterfeiting these (they only had 2 sets, and they shipped from France), but I just had never come by bands which were not serial numbered. Does anybody have any experience with these? Are they simply like late war un-serialised K98 bands? I think they made the G98/40 into 1944 so it could be that simple.

The listing had generic stock photos of the bands so that's why I didn't know they were un-serialised until delivery.

*I uploaded some photos but I'm positive that they attached so if they don't show up PM me please*

Attachments

• IMG_6820.jpg
    IMG_6820.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6821.jpg
    IMG_6821.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6822.jpg
    IMG_6822.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_6823.jpg
    IMG_6823.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 57
The French vendor usually sells high quality repros at decent prices. Their advertisement is sometimes, ahem, "ambiguous".

Are these being sold by a vendor as legitimate or intentionally as good repros? If repros what is the link to the business?

Like kraut says, the adds are ambiguous at best, there are a couple different ones playing the same game, just search for G41 parts and you’ll find them Aaron.

Well I'm not too heartbroken because the G98/40 I'm putting them on, I'll be putting a fox-military stock on as well. I want a shooter G98/40 so it's fine by me! Either way the parts are hard to find. But still the price point doesn't give them much profit because of the work they'd have to put in to them. You'd think they'd make more than 2 sets. I've been searching for over a year for parts and this is only the third time I've seen bands come for sale. The first time they were pieces of mangled junk that wouldn't have even fit on a rifle, and the second time the guy wanted something like $350 for a # matching set. The thing that put up a red flag for me was the WaA 63. I didn't think that mauser would have made bands for a G98/40 which was made by WaA 173 (current day FEG I believe). Surely there must have been spare parts made for G98/40's regardless though, right? You don't make thousands of a new rifle and never produce a single spare part. Not saying my bands are legitimate, but surely somewhere at some point there were spares? Has anyone from this forum ever come across any?

If they're going to the effort, you'd think they'd at least make repro extractors and springs...

The factory was relocated late in the war and many parts were destroyed during the move so who knows. Barges with the factory tooling and spares were partially destroyed by the allies, many thousands of stocks for instance.

I agree, he tends to be vague in his wording. I believe the guy also has a website with a mix of original and repros. AAS Sniper I believe is the name. To his credit, they are high quality and will do in a pinch if you are trying to do a restoration. Too bad he didn't put the correct waA on it. Lol.

Either way, your rifle is complete and hopefully is a good shooter!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Hello,
I am looking for a front sling
mount (with the front barrel band) for my g98/40.
Can someone help me for purchasing one?
I only have the front barrel band but the sling mount is missing.

Military Rifle Journal
Back