Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1936 bsw

Isn't that the truth HM. They pretty much wiped away what ever had to do with the name Simson. Almost like the company was BSW from the start and Simson never existed.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

I would suspect this receiver may have been partially finished, but not completely engraved. It may have been in the bottom of the parts bin. The takeover of the factory occurred in early 1934, but that consisted largely of installation of a handful of upper management and directors. Almost all of the workmen who were assembling these rifles were the same people who had worked there for the Simson family for years. The first run of Simson-marked DSM receivers would have been turned out by March of 1934, but many were not used in assembly of completed rifles for months afterwards. They were used up until supply was exhausted, even after further production introduced newer receivers with the BSW markings. They didn't waste any parts or materials.

The Simson family had initiated a name change for the firearms portion of their manufacturing empire (they also made a variety of commercial goods, including automobiles) in September of 1933 to "WAFFA" in hopes of selling the firearms business before it was taken by the Nazis. The "WAFFA" address line even appears on a very, very few guns made during that fall, but examples of it are extremely rare. The name "Berlin-Suhler-Waffenfabrik" actually was in place prior to the Simsons being pushed out of the business and later arrested.

Steve

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luftmacher View Post
    ..It may have been in the bottom of the parts bin. ..They were used up until supply was exhausted, even after further production introduced newer receivers with the BSW markings. They didn't waste any parts or materials.
    This is a theory we can totally agree on, not just at Simson. Each station had parts bins and not all employees worked at the same production rate. As the bins were refilled periodically 'older' parts languished at the bottom of the slower employees bins only later to show up in production if they were replaced by a faster worker or the parts were reallocated. I also have the 'clean-up' theory where parts that either fell in behind something or were somehow buried by newer parts and only came back into the production lines during a major clean-up at the facility. Certainly for my mind explains how older parts can show up in bursts in later production. Supply disruptions would also cause older or alternate sourced parts not normally a part of the facilities production to suddenly show up in short bursts. I actually seen this in practice.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Here’s a close up picture of one of the corners of the Simson logo, both sides show this corner (deepest points in the rollmark) what’s crazy to me is that there are scrubbed firing proofs on the right side as I pictured before.

Jeremy, here ya go buddy, interesting little action for sure!

Clay, be interested to know what the diameter of the receiver is at the rollmark. How did they scrub the old Simson rollmark and still maintain the diameter necessary to fit in the DSM34 stock? The stock inlet around the receiver looks tight.

Did you end up getting that Simson DSM34 we talked about?

No I had to pass on it unfortunately. Good thought on the dimension, I was thinking about it before, but the scrubbing wouldn’t have to be fully concentric, it could taper off at the wood line and appears too seeing as the Simson legend and right receiver proofs still show better than the top does and they are at the wood line, no different than a Mauser 98 having just the crest scrubbed off, they are no longer concentric after that. Seeing as the markings at the wood line are still showing to a degree, it couldn’t have been more than a few thousandths off in these areas. The stocks are also somewhat hand fit, you can see that especially at the rear sight base, but also in the receiver area, a barrel channel scraper was used, you can tell tell by the marks left. I hate to take it apart but I might just to measure it, sort of pointless though as the side legend especially is clearly visible.

Thanks for those pics Clay! Definitely a cool little action.
    WTB: Rough milled, blued, unnumbered floor plate as found on late MO rifles. Unnumbered MO bands, both KM and standard type, MO KM stocks including an unaccepted one, MO bands and stock 5897, upper band 0643

Here’s another less than 1k rifles apart that shows proof remnants on the right side too.
    Attached Images Attached Images