Third Party Press

WaA 4 - What/who is it?

Mauser4me

Generally looking for info for Waffenamt 4. I pulled a cleaning rod nut out of one of my stocks today which was marked with it eagle over 4, and a K.

I generally have the impression that it is a less common (and often more expensive) waffenamt to come across, but why is it so? Was it strictly an armorer's spare manufacturer? Google research is giving me alot of conflicting information so I don't know much.

kind of just for fun, but what code/year of K98 would this cleaning rod nut have originally have been in?

Thanks for the info in advance!

Generally looking for info for Waffenamt 4. I pulled a cleaning rod nut out of one of my stocks today which was marked with it eagle over 4, and a K.

I generally have the impression that it is a less common (and often more expensive) waffenamt to come across, but why is it so? Was it strictly an armorer's spare manufacturer? Google research is giving me alot of conflicting information so I don't know much.

kind of just for fun, but what code/year of K98 would this cleaning rod nut have originally have been in?

Thanks for the info in advance!
WaA4 was the inspection code for BSW. Their primary years of production were 1937-1939. Their total production numbers were on the lower end of K98 production but generally were very well made. BSW was originally the Simson and Co. Suhl firm that was "acquired" by the Nazi government. It was later folded into Gustloff Werke which carried the code 337 for a short time, then later BCD.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
K and e/4 were for bSw but some small parts were used in production into 1941 at least. I've seen K and/or e/4 used on 337/1939, 337/1940 and bcd41 rifles. The parts being ejector housings and hooks, cleaning rod ferruls, cleaning rods, and rear sight pieces. The e/4 is an in house proof for bSw. The 'K" is a contractor of parts. Luck & Wagner if memory serves.

Last edited:
This looks like a Banner stock with the finger grooves,TD disc and the early sling attachments, what has me puzzled was the WaA4 stamp on the bottom of the stock. The rifle is an S/42G so I knew when I bought it the stock wasn't correct, but the rifle intrigued me so I bought it anyway.

Attachments

• DSC04191.jpg
    DSC04191.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC04207.jpg
    DSC04207.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC04208.jpg
    DSC04208.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC04196.jpg
    DSC04196.jpg