Third Party Press

Value of AC 44 vet bring back.

I like it, stock looks to be in VG original condition. (Not Sanded) Overall condition also looks VG.
I would give $2500.00 all day long for that rifle as long as the bore was good. . :thumbsup:

If it was all matching I add another 1K.

Last edited:
Did anybody notice the lack of a locking cut on the scope rail, like we see with Gustloff rifles? This being a St.Etienne receiver, I wonder if it was assembled from parts originally made for Gustloff but then diverted to Walther after the Buchenwald facilities had been bombed. Maybe a Walther Werke II (Neuengamme) assembly?

I like it, stock looks to be in VG original condition. (Not Sanded) Overall condition also looks VG.
I would give $2500.00 all day long for that rifle as long as the bore was good. . :thumbsup:

It it was all matching I add another 1K.

Yeah unfortunately the bolt carrier is mismatched and owner is out of town but he believes everything else in the bolt matches. He never shot it.

Wonder why the bolt carrier is mismatched as the gentleman said he purchased this at the vets estate sale years ago.

He also stated this vet’s unit over ran the factory where this rifle was made , that is where he obtained it.

Found interesting article on the veteran who brought this rifle back ,

SYNOPSIS: The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to Sergeant Henry W. Beckwith, United States Army, for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations against an armed enemy while serving with Headquarters Company, 2d Battalion, 12th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division, in action against enemy forces on 17 December 1944. Sergeant Beckwith's intrepid actions, personal bravery and zealous devotion to duty exemplify the highest traditions of the military forces of the United States and reflect great credit upon himself, the 4th Infantry Division, and the United States Army.

Awarded a DSM for valor, I’d assume during the beginning of the Ardennes offensive.

Not in the market for another G43 as I’ve been looking for a SVt-40, but with the neat history of this one, I may say screw the svt and pick this up. And hang it on the wall.

Love the bring back tag, love the research and provenance. Cool piece.

However.....Is that a large crack in stock coming from cross bolt to the edge of the rail cut out?

Love the bring back tag, love the research and provenance. Cool piece.

However.....Is that a large crack in stock coming from cross bolt to the edge of the rail cut out?

It does look like it, not sure if it was repaired or not, something I’ll have to ask or inspect prior to purchase.

Did anybody notice the lack of a locking cut on the scope rail, like we see with Gustloff rifles? This being a St.Etienne receiver, I wonder if it was assembled from parts originally made for Gustloff but then diverted to Walther after the Buchenwald facilities had been bombed. Maybe a Walther Werke II (Neuengamme) assembly?
It almost looks like a milled off rail? Hard to tell from the angle but looks shallow.

BEE1-DF8-D-A6-A9-4034-B609-C47-B43-F5-C78-E.jpg

Looks milled. Factory milled?

Yes looks like a factory milled rail. It is still up for debate but for the most part Walther didn't use the Bakelite hand guards, BLM did. It is possible that Walther used some for a short period. Until we know for certain, I think this effects that value some. But the bigger issue is the miss matched bolt carrier and possible stock crack. $2500ish seems to be about right for value.

At least the stock is not cleaned or sanded as this also effects the value.

I didn't see the possible screw in the stock.....but I probably just missed it.

No way to know why the bolt carrier is a mismatch. It's possible that something happened to the bolt carrier, like a mechanical problem and the vet replaced it. Maybe something happened to it and the soldier that had it found another busted rifle and replaced it. Maybe post war something happened to it and it was replaced. No way to know. That's why it affects value as it's impossible to know for sure and just having numbers that don't match just makes it unattractive to collectors. Shooters don't care as long as it works and it's an original part. "Factory mismatches" are even priced lower and they originally came out of the factory like that.

"Factory mismatches" are known in the last made K.43 qve45's, P.38 ac45 c and d block pistols and PP ac last pistols. Some pistols and rifles may be a number or two off here and there, but they are easy to spot and not common.

No way to know why the bolt carrier is a mismatch. It's possible that something happened to the bolt carrier, like a mechanical problem and the vet replaced it. Maybe something happened to it and the soldier that had it found another busted rifle and replaced it. Maybe post war something happened to it and it was replaced. No way to know. That's why it affects value as it's impossible to know for sure and just having numbers that don't match just makes it unattractive to collectors. Shooters don't care as long as it works and it's an original part. "Factory mismatches" are even priced lower and they originally came out of the factory like that.

"Factory mismatches" are known in the last made K.43 qve45's, P.38 ac45 c and d block pistols and PP ac last pistols. Some pistols and rifles may be a number or two off here and there, but they are easy to spot and not common.
I don't see a screw in the stock either. I take it factory mismatched rifles would be rifles taken by vets that are known to have been taken out of the Walther factory when it was liberated?

I have an ac45 P38 mismatched c block that was put together at the Walther factory in Zella Mehlis for a US GI probably in April 1945 after the factory was captured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking more, its gotta be a screw holding the crack together. Sorry for the crappy faint drawing but you can see what they probably did.

The tag is awesome, but all it says is one german rifle. The critic in me says what a great way to try and help move a mismatched cracked stock K43. I could very well be wrong, but no way to prove they belong together.

Attachments

• 20190715_224319.jpg
    20190715_224319.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 38
Looking more, its gotta be a screw holding the crack together. Sorry for the crappy faint drawing but you can see what they probably did.

The tag is awesome, but all it says is one german rifle. The critic in me says what a great way to try and help move a mismatched cracked stock K43. I could very well be wrong, but no way to prove they belong together.

Totally agree. Stock issues plus mismatch bolt carrier make this rifle a shooter example.

Military Rifle Journal
Back