Third Party Press

Very late HT sniper

Absolut

Since I've anyway did these three pics, I thought I would also share them here. This is the HT sniper of latest production which I have in my collection. It has a 58.xxx serial and since nearly everything being phosphated I suppose it is one of the very last being made. Also note the walnut stock with takedown hole. This rifle has a checkered buttplate too.

I'm not sure if the scope is original to the rifle since due to rust pittings on the scope I'm unable to make out the serial on the front ring. Additionally the rear scope ring on bottom only has two digits which I'm not sure if they are connected with a serial at all. But the scope is an extremely late cad scope as well, so it would be correct for the rifle anyway.

When I got it it was without the silencer. But since I have four silencers, I put all of them on some of my K98k snipers. This one is the variant with the metal baffles inside.

One question to those who are more experts on the K98k rifle in general than I am - can one tell which code this rifle would bear on the receiver? Would it be a byf45 or maybe a swvMB? Also would wonder if someone knew of a HT sniper with a higher serial than this one?

Attachments

• htcad_01.jpg
    htcad_01.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 185
  • htcad_02.jpg
    htcad_02.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 219
  • htcad_03.jpg
    htcad_03.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 141
Since I've anyway did these three pics, I thought I would also share them here. This is the HT sniper of latest production which I have in my collection. It has a 58.xxx serial and since nearly everything being phosphated I suppose it is one of the very last being made. Also note the walnut stock with takedown hole. This rifle has a checkered buttplate too.

I'm not sure if the scope is original to the rifle since due to rust pittings on the scope I'm unable to make out the serial on the front ring. Additionally the rear scope ring on bottom only has two digits which I'm not sure if they are connected with a serial at all. But the scope is an extremely late cad scope as well, so it would be correct for the rifle anyway.

When I got it it was without the silencer. But since I have four silencers, I put all of them on some of my K98k snipers. This one is the variant with the metal baffles inside.

One question to those who are more experts on the K98k rifle in general than I am - can one tell which code this rifle would bear on the receiver? Would it be a byf45 or maybe a swvMB? Also would wonder if someone knew of a HT sniper with a higher serial than this one?

Mauser was into the "a" block before they switched to svw45, so it's safe to say it's a byf45. As far as the 2 digits on the bottom of the rear ring, I remember you referenced those numbers to an internal pairing system used at Kahles. Is the stock drilled for the KM takedown under the sniper buttplate?

Georg
I do not want to appear argumentative or petty , IMO Your Cad is not Extremely Late , I would say it certainly is a Late/Later Cad . To classify a Cad as Extremely Late , it would be more like 47XXX to 48XXX Range .

Look in Volume III Georg. There is an a block high turret which is later then this one. Your's is a no letter block byf 45 marked receiver.

Hi Matt, for whatever reason I was only looking at Volume II - no wonder I couldn't find a later one than mine there. Thanks! I was sure there would be later rifles than mine, but simply couldn't find much.

I've also discussed with Dave that for whatever reason I meant to refer the rifle to be extremely late - the cad scope of course is late too, but not extremely late. I think I even have a 47.xxx cad scope in HT rings somewhere..

Sturmgrenadier, I was not referring to the assembly number by Kahles but to a two digit marking on bottom of the rear scope ring, so nothing on the scope itself. And the rifle does have the takedown hole drilled in KM style, but covered by the sniper buttplate.

It seems like the 2 digit number (sometimes 4) on the bottom of the rear scope ring/foot never match on late guns. I see them match on early low turrets but am yet to see one matching on a later high turret.

Only number inside the barrel channel is the rifle serial number. There is some pencil marking visible in the front part, but not sure if this would be any letter or digit at all. Also took pic of barreled receiver, since it was anyway taken off the stock. Note letter R on receiver tang. Also note takedown hole behind the sniper buttplate. I also liked the very crude fitting of the takedown disc, looks almost hand carved.

Attachments

• htcad_04.jpg
    htcad_04.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 45
  • htcad_05.jpg
    htcad_05.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 40
  • htcad_06.jpg
    htcad_06.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 42
  • htcad_07.jpg
    htcad_07.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 41
  • htcad_08.jpg
    htcad_08.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 51
  • htcad_09.jpg
    htcad_09.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 50
  • htcad_10.jpg
    htcad_10.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 48
  • htcad_11.jpg
    htcad_11.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 44
  • htcad_12.jpg
    htcad_12.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 43
  • htcad_13.jpg
    htcad_13.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 37
Georg
Your assembler number was 24, it should also be in pencil in that channel. The channel may be too dark to view it. If you remove that screw set from the rear ring base, you should see the same two digits on the feet of the ring itself. As Matt said they can be 2,3,4 digits, but they may be part of an internal numbering system to keep the 2 piece rear ring mount together, nothing to do with the serial number of the base rifle.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back