Third Party Press

Out of town, looking at a bcd 42???

racerlee

I came across a bcd 42 today for $775. The serial number is 3919 c. The bolt doesn't match the rifle and it seems like it matches itself but some of its numbers seem off to me. As for the rest of the rifle it looks good except the top handguard is missing and no cleaning rod. The sling looked original. All the rest of the metal looked good. The trigger guard number looked a little different. Barrel stamped WaA 103. I didn't see any numbers on the rear sight. The stock keel number matched, also c stamped. I offered $700 on it but the owner is away and will call when able. What do you guys think? To many issues? 20190720_143649.jpg20190720_143703.jpg20190720_143716.jpg20190720_143805.jpg20190720_143819.jpg20190720_143837.jpg20190720_144402.jpg20190720_144427.jpg20190720_144449.jpg20190720_144507.jpg20190720_144515.jpg

What makes it a hard year? I was thinking with some of the issues with the rifle, here in Oregon, they are asking to much.

Most ended up lost on the eastern front. Id try to haggle the price down. But its really not a bad deal for what it is.

John.

Most ended up lost on the eastern front. Id try to haggle the price down. But its really not a bad deal for what it is.

John.
Thanks. I just got off the phone with the owner. He said he would do $750. But he is the owner of the pawn shop. I'm supposed to meet him tomorrow. Not sure if I'll buy it or not.

Non-RC bolt mismatches are selling for $600+ on the trader. You're getting a sling, too? Sounds like a decent deal to me if that's what you're after.

Not a bad price for a bolt mismatcher, with it comes to Gustloff production the years of 1941-1942 are the most interesting. Being the types of barrels used. You will find some that are Ruhrstahl (bys/avk), they were the official supplier to the Saxony Group and were probably the biggest barrel supplier to Gustloff. But they used FN barrels in production too. But the hardest and scarcest ones to locate are from the Dutch marked AI. Also seldom seen are bcd marked barrels but those are found later in 43-44.

When it comes to Gustloff there are so many different variables in parts and supplies. One of the main reasons I collect Gustloff seems like every rifle is different in a way.

As good K98k friend of mine told me Gustloff was almost like a junk dealer. They were the only firm to use MG15 barrels in K98k production. Do you think Mauser would have done that, hell no!

But remember Gustloff was primarily an assembler not a manufacturer.

I think of Gustloff like Watto from Star Wars. This rifle looks ok to me but I'm biased nd love Gustloff stuff. I'd buy it even for the asking price. Love the patina and the bolt looks fine from my chair.

watto.jpg

Thanks guys for all your thoughts on this rifle and on Gustloff K98k information. I'm supposed to meet up with him tomorrow and to discuss price. I really wasn't in the market for another K98k. So we'll see what happens.

Well I just got back from our trip. The bad news is I didn't purchase the bcd 42. We had a change in plans and had to leave earlier than expected.:facepalm: But my daughter lives in the town it is at, so I might send her the money to buy it. I will find out more in a couple days.

Ok ok! I looked at the pics I took again and caved in. So I called the shop owner and made a deal. We settled on $725 + $10 for the background check. He is selling the rifle for someone so I asked him if he can find out if the owner of the rifle might have the upper hand guard. If he has it I will throw in an extra $35 for it. I'm going to pick it up August 10th.

Military Rifle Journal
Back