Third Party Press

"Nazi" gew

u96

Hi. This is a matching 1916 Oberbdorf. The only Nazi thing about it is a WaA on the keel. I would have thought there would be more marketing on the metal. Any chance this is ok? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6500.jpg
    IMG_6500.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_6496.jpg
    IMG_6496.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_6498.jpg
    IMG_6498.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
A couple more

Attachments

• IMG_6504.jpg
    IMG_6504.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_6505.jpg
    IMG_6505.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 110
It's a Nazi gewehr?

Cool does it come with its Party Book and all?

Sorry, just drives me crazy when people label them as "Nazi" rifles...

By extension, any rifles produced in the US during WWII are "Democrat" rifles, amirite?

That is a German Depot marking the rifle was probably upgraded in the 30s. Judging by the bolt I can tell it's blued where it should be in the white for imperial era, part of the Depot process. More pictures will tell more they may have replaced the barrel as well.

Hard to make out the picture of the depot stamp you'll have to get a closer picture so I can tell you which Depot did the work. By the way what are they asking for this rifle if the price is fair be well worth it to pick it up.

Last edited:
Really taking a closer look at the picture I believe it's a HZaJt3 marking for Ingolstadt

I think your right. Under a magnifying glass there is definitely a "Z" in the code. So depots had funky inspection stamps like these?

I don't recall the price exactly but its definitely north of 1000.

That is a very interesting Gew98M. Definitely an HZa Ingolstadt rework, with an interesting unit mark also.

I'll get pics for everyone. It was expensive, at least 1250 I think. You'd be interested even with what is apparently a reblued bolt?

You'd be interested even with what is apparently a reblued bolt?

Assuming its legit matching, most folks here (myself included) would be interested in it. When these were reworked (at Ingolstadt or during the earlier conversion to 98M configuration), the bolts were blued by the depot doing the work. It is period and not a postwar "reblue".

Yes as Ryan stated these bolts for blued at the depots. When they upgraded the older G98 rifles to the G98m they replaced the rear sights with the updated style, blued the bolts, added a bolt take disc in the stock, changed out the stock lower barrel band to the newer style, replaced the barrel if needed, and modified the magazine followers. Along with a few other things. These can be quite interesting on who did the work and finding one all matching is not exactly easy. Some can be quite rare especially if their unit marked for the Reichsmarine.

I'll be honest if I walked into the shop and found one of these all matching like this for $1,250 I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Interesting that would be extremely uncommon. I wish I could tell you more but with only these pictures provided this is basically what I'm going on.

I think some more detailed photos and an overall image would be needed to tell more. Seems odd it would have gone to a depot and not gotten the sight upgrade.

Stan I completely agree with you on that why would they install a bolt take down disk, blued the bolt, but we're going to keep the old outdated sighting system. Makes no sense more pictures needed.

The OP says it's "matching", but I think we need to rule out a 1916 rifle being placed in a later depot reworked stock by somebody as a restoration project.

Military Rifle Journal
Back