Third Party Press

Current prices

sombra

I have a pretty good grasp of the current prices for Colt Pythons, 1911s, etc.....but I know nothing about 98k pricing.
I don't know when $800 is a good price, or $3000 is a good price for a particular rifle. Watching an auction site hasn't helped me learn much yet.
I see a rifle for $2500 all matching, original (that's the claim anyway) and I don't even know how often 98k rifles are found that are worth that.

Can someone give me a crash course on current pricing/ Like what $1000 might get you right now? $3000?
And what is the most you have seen one go for?

Wow, not an easy answer. A decent, matching common code can go from $1,500, then up to $4,000+ for a nice matching rare code. $500-800 mismatch originals, Russian captures. Bolt mismatch originals or one or two mismatch parts can run $850 to $1,500 maybe more. Condition, code/yr, amount of matching or mismatch parts all play a critical factor. Many times a seller will claim that a rifle is all matching and it may well be. But other times nothing could be further from the truth. A trained eye takes years to finesse.

I've only been at this for about a year but here's guesstimations based on my experience (of all-matching rifles):
-common code/year combos average about $1500 with a $3-400 neighborhood on either side for condition (a rusty battle carried byf44 might be sold for $1100 and a more "mint" byf44 might go for $1900 or possibly higher).
-common codes in desirable configurations (e.g. Kriegsmodell or very early pre-war) can fetch a bit more, maybe $2300-2500 average and with a much wider collar of reasonable values based on condition, etc.
-rare codes/years I haven't seen enough to have an idea of an average, but they will be way above $2k likely...See mowzer's answer for a better idea than I have.

And high-condition (>90%), truly mint rifles will probably average about $3000. A reasonable neighborhood of values would only go higher than this from what I've seen.
Fair warning: My sample sizes are ridiculously small for everything but the common code/year combos. Like, 2-5 rifles small. And also note that rifles that exist in smaller categories, like rare code/year combos, will likely have way more variability in price because of the fewer price points.

Matching original rifles can be found for $1,000 even somewhat rare ones.

A few months ago passed on matching original Byf44 for $900. Last year got a nice matching original BNZ45 from another forum member for $1,500. Very often you can find matching original K98k for $1,200-$1,500. Top condition rare code will be more.

Bolt mismatch $800-$1,200 depending on code and condition.

RC I wouldn't pay more than $500 unless it was a rare one.

Norwegian offer some of the best value. Matching except the lined out Receiver and buttplate and renumbered bolt root $600-$1,000. French seem to be a little more $700-$1,100. Czech a little less $500-800. Albanians when they come up for sale seem to be the cheapest. Missed one on the forum last year by minutes at $600 bolt mismatch.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well, yes you can find matched for less than 1K, but chances are getting slimmer as the wild ones are tough to find, and plenty of folks have turned over most of the rocks. You can also find plenty of "bad" rifles for more than 1500. The problem with a newbie is that $1K "matched" rifle... is it good or not? Most likely bad.

Well, yes you can find matched for less than 1K, but chances are getting slimmer as the wild ones are tough to find, and plenty of folks have turned over most of the rocks. You can also find plenty of "bad" rifles for more than 1500. The problem with a newbie is that $1K "matched" rifle... is it good or not? Most likely bad.
This is true. I'm still learning myself and I won't buy a K98K without having 2 forum members I trust look it over first. I am also under the belief many will be on the market again sooner than later.

Your best bet is to find a rifle you like, compare it to the pic reference section on this forum, and then ask a high post forum member to take a look. That’s what I did when I didn’t know Jack shite. That said, as a new collector I’d look for a common code (byf, dot 43-44) in 90% condition or better for $1400-$1800. That’s the sweet spot IMO.

So, I must be living a charmed life when it comes to buying Mausers. My first Mauser was a Polish WZ-29 purchased 5 years ago from a small town pawn shop that was scrubbed for export to the Spanish rebels during their civil war. I then acquired a beautiful pristine 1895 Chilean and got a deal on a BRNO 98/29 Persian Mauser. I picked up my first K98k some three years ago. It was a Russian Capture 1937 code 237 with only the barrel and receiver matching. It shot ok, and I traded it after a year for a Lee Enfield at a gun show.

I was without a WWII K98k for over a year, until this past winter when I stumbled upon an all matching ar 41 at one of my LGS that had just come in. It had some light pitting on the top of the receiver and appeared to have some bluing touched up and the cleaning rod had been replaced. But everything else matched (even the stock) and it had an original sling. I bought it for $850 and had it checked out by a local Mauser expert who said that it had been arsenal refinished and was all original. He told me that it was worth somewhere in the $1,500 to $1,700 range. This is one of the most accurate Mauser K98k rifles that I have ever shot, and I enjoy taking this one out to the range occasionally.

Then on a quiet Saturday afternoon last month I wandered into a small LGS and found two K98k rifles on the counter. The first was an all-matching 42 1940 with a solid walnut stock and an original sling that was marked as a Luftwaffe rifle. It was priced at $450 and I negotiated them down to $450 out the door. I took it over to my local Mauser expert friend who was astounded with this find and declared it correct and conservatively worth somewhere in the range of $2,200 to $2,600. Once I posted photos on this forum (http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?36378-LGS-find-K98k-42-1940-Luftwaffe-marked), I learned from some members here that it was worth a bit more than my local expert estimated.

I had originally passed on the second rifle I saw when I found the 42 1940 because even though it was coded bcd 4, it had a mix of phosphate and blued parts, a rough looking stock, a strange looking modified safety and some holes drilled and tapped in the side of the receiver. In my haste to acquire the beautiful matching 42 1940, I put this second rifle down thinking that Bubba had made a mess of it and I had initially mistook it for having mismatched numbers. Once I mentioned this second rifle in my original post on this forum, I was quickly educated by folks here that this second rifle might be an unfinished lsr sniper version of the K98k and could be even more valuable than the 42 1940. This bcd 4 had a price tag of $350 (the LGS staff said it was cheaper than the 42 1940 because someone had cut holes in the receiver). But I had a problem, in that I was travelling out of town on a business trip first thing Monday morning. So I convinced my wife to go to the LGS while I went to the airport. She bought her first firearm that day, and got it for $325. When I posted this rifle on this forum (http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?36452-bcd-4-lsr-without-scope-or-mount-the-other-rifle), I learned that this one was also all original and worth approximately twice as much as the 42 1940. It appears that this rifle was captured at the factory by US troops, and upon inspection, it appears that this one has never been fired. My wife is quick to point out that her rifle is more valuable than mine...

So the moral of this story is to visit all of your LGS on a regular basis and to keep your eyes open for deals. Be willing to ask the folks on this forum for help if you have questions about what you have found. You can still purchase WWII K98k rifles these days at prices far below the going rates, but you have to beat the bushes to find them. I find that the stores which have a limited internet presence are where the bargains usually are found.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Last edited:
Some great info and advice here indeed. Often depends where and how one buys. An LGS may be a good place if the rifle is a just a bolt M/M. Never forget the 2 1940 243 code rifles that went for $5000 on Gunbroker! Bidding war or someone just had to have em.

Deals are still out there though most computer savvy dealers are pretty up on current values. Smaller shops are worth checking on a regular basis because you just never know what you'll luck into. To a lot of sellers these are just old Mauser rifles. The 2 rifles discussed above though were truly exceptional finds and for what they went for makes you wonder what the dealer paid for them.

$350 and $450 are those once in a lifetime deals.

Chilean Mausers are relatively cheap. Asking prices on GunBroker don't match reality. The only one that consistently brings a decent amount is the 1935 Chilean. The rest can be bought matching and original between $300-400.

Right now I would not pay anywhere near $1,800 for a common K98k. There were a whole lot made and brought back. Large collections have multiple in them. I've been saying it for over a year all bubbles burst. I believe we are now in the midst of the bubble bursting and the bottom falling out. Collectors I know who thought I was crazy are now under the same impression. Nothing goes straight up.

The top condition and rare tend to hold their value or not lose as much. A common code is a common and regardless of condition tend to take the biggest hits. There has never been a bubble that hasn't burst. Especially when there is not demand at current prices to meet supply.

So, I must be living a charmed life when it comes to buying Mausers.

Definitely you stepped in it with those finds! I wouldn't bet on that being a regular thing however. It does happen and visiting your LGS, the Vets family or estate sales is probably the only way to get 'steals' anymore.

BiO was right about the too cheap 'all matching' anything... probably bad. MM and RCs are matching for arguments sake. :laugh:

I think mb44kar had a good grasp on variations and price brackets though a bit on the high side, at least from what I've seen.

And finally there are retarded high 'sale' prices on webstores and Gunbonker but don't take that as a new (or correct) price point for anything. Lot's of discussions around regarding the culprits and theories regarding those prices.

Just gotta keep an eye out, at the last Tulsa show I found two single part m/m rifles for 850 and under. Also surfing auctions at about 2-4am produces some good results :laugh: I’ve seen guys here get mint bnz45’s for $25 bucks and a sporter sell for $20k so you just never know. Time and persistence is what it takes. A lot of these guys work HARD to find stuff, they may post it all cool and calm like they just walked into a shop and there it was, but they didn’t mention the miles they put on their car that week and the phone bill they racked up! Haha.

The top condition and rare tend to hold their value or not lose as much. A common code is a common and regardless of condition tend to take the biggest hits. There has never been a bubble that hasn't burst. Especially when there is not demand at current prices to meet supply.

I'm inclined to agree with capt here, but the evidence for that burst is only just showing up (for me) starting this summer.
This evidence is rifles I've seen in the price brackets I defined that have hung around on sale longer than usual, and I've only started seeing that recently so I couldn't tell if it was the drop-off after a burst bubble or just a hiccup.

I think mb44kar had a good grasp on variations and price brackets though a bit on the high side, at least from what I've seen.

I agree after reading through some responses.
Definitely my estimates are high as of very recently, most of my evidence comes from months ago. Plus I've never been as lucky as you guys to walk into my LGS and find even one k98k, so I don't have data from the sources that are usually cheaper or luckier (LGS, estate auctions, Vet families). LGS's in the middle of populated cities are probably not the best place...
Thanks for the feedback

Don’t forget many of those “top end” rifles are actually cleaned which keeps most collectors away.

I'm inclined to agree with capt here, but the evidence for that burst is only just showing up (for me) starting this summer.
This evidence is rifles I've seen in the price brackets I defined that have hung around on sale longer than usual, and I've only started seeing that recently so I couldn't tell if it was the drop-off after a burst bubble or just a hiccup.

I agree after reading through some responses.
Definitely my estimates are high as of very recently, most of my evidence comes from months ago. Plus I've never been as lucky as you guys to walk into my LGS and find even one k98k, so I don't have data from the sources that are usually cheaper or luckier (LGS, estate auctions, Vet families). LGS's in the middle of populated cities are probably not the best place...
Thanks for the feedback

I think this summer is the real start of the burst. We had a classic double dip or double peak depending if you are a half full or half empty type of guy. Now it is usually a straight ride to the bottom. By October we will know for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don’t forget many of those “top end” rifles are actually cleaned which keeps most collectors away.

This times 10000%.

In the past year, I have seen VERY few 98ks with unmessed with wood sell. I have seen even less without any issues sell. The stocks on 98ks is where the majority of the value is held. Collecting interests have changed, we are at a point where closet untouched rifles bring the premium. The rifles that are cleaned and coming out of collections do not bring nearly the same number unless someone wants the code really badly. I believe the demand for undoinked rifles far outweighs the supply.

Pistols do not have wood stocks, so their pricing is a lot more stable and predictable. 95% brings x 90% brings y 85% brings z. They honestly have a lot less variation as well, makes everything a lot easier to price.

Fully agreed Ty, I just wish I could find more untouched rifles like the one below but the damn things ARE getting hard to find.

Attachments

• 21863A38-4FD7-46C0-A84C-B934A3EB4016.jpg
    21863A38-4FD7-46C0-A84C-B934A3EB4016.jpg
    431.2 KB · Views: 91

Military Rifle Journal
Back