Third Party Press

dot 1942 G.33/40 in NOS condition

Absolut

While we all know the trouble of collectors trying to stick to their topic, sometimes you have to be unfaithful and buy something which is outside of your collection, if it is nice enough... This was the problem I had when a G.33/40 rifle was offered to me. While they are not part of my usual collection I already have two (mismatching but original ones), but when I got offered this one I simply couldn't resist.

The rifle is more than just a textbook piece, being in a condition which makes it hard to believe it ever saw any service at all. Fully matching numbers, 99% blueing, complete with cleaning rod, front sight hood, sling and even the rubber muzzle cover plus the markings both on the metal as well as the stock are so crisp that it looks like it left factory yesterday.

Note the screws are originally staked in correct place, with the staking exactly in line with the screw head. Additionally, note there are no additional WaA63 acceptance stamps on the stock - does anyone know when they stopped doing this?

Attachments

• 33-40_01.jpg
    33-40_01.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 185
  • 33-40_02.jpg
    33-40_02.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 33-40_03.jpg
    33-40_03.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 177
  • 33-40_04.jpg
    33-40_04.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 202
  • 33-40_05.jpg
    33-40_05.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 197
  • 33-40_06.jpg
    33-40_06.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 166
  • 33-40_07.jpg
    33-40_07.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 164
  • 33-40_08.jpg
    33-40_08.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 33-40_09.jpg
    33-40_09.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 182
  • 33-40_10.jpg
    33-40_10.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 148
Sorry, can only add 10 pics per post, so have to do another post for the last picture.

Attachments

• 33-40_11.jpg
    33-40_11.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 86
Wow, all I can say is DONE! Can't get any better than that really...

That would be a crowning jewel in anyone's collection!

Congrats on a real score!

Terms get thrown around a lot like mint, crisp and museum grade but this really is! I said this before about another specimen but it's almost as if it's been in a vacuum chamber the past 75 or so years. Perfect! Impossible to upgrade! :laugh: Great find!

Looks like a depot piece, probably only minor used, possible found by GIs. b.r.Andy

If it was found by GI's I would not expect it to still be in Europe :happy0180: . If found by GI's it would have Weaver bases atop and stock would be cut down with some nice checkering and a rubber buttplate ........ :googlie

Kidding aside, yes I am quite proud of this one. My best guess is that it was handed to someone at the mountain troop school who sat behind a writing table and kept it there all during WWII, then taken home and well hidden. Otherwise it would not had survived in this condition.

If it was found by GI's I would not expect it to still be in Europe :happy0180: . If found by GI's it would have Weaver bases atop and stock would be cut down with some nice checkering and a rubber buttplate ........ :googlie

That’s not kidding, that’s true ;) :faint:

Question to owner, is the possibility to locate where it was found? by Germans hidden similar items in postwar and remain in so excellent condition is hard to believe. By school training piece, i would expect a using by training, no wearing on bolt stem and ball are visible. b.r.Andy

Previous owner bought it from a gun dealer. He has no information from where the dealer got it.

A friend of mine owns a SSDC sniper rifle which was fully in grease when he got it. Unused with matching numbers scope. The rifle originated from the mountain troop school in Tyrolia. I suspect this rifle may have had a similar history.

That could be done only in US or British zone, other areas was very strictly about this, as it was in untouched condition is more real it was in official depot stored? b.r.Andy

While we all know the trouble of collectors trying to stick to their topic, sometimes you have to be unfaithful and buy something which is outside of your collection, if it is nice enough... This was the problem I had when a G.33/40 rifle was offered to me. While they are not part of my usual collection I already have two (mismatching but original ones), but when I got offered this one I simply couldn't resist.

The rifle is more than just a textbook piece, being in a condition which makes it hard to believe it ever saw any service at all. Fully matching numbers, 99% blueing, complete with cleaning rod, front sight hood, sling and even the rubber muzzle cover plus the markings both on the metal as well as the stock are so crisp that it looks like it left factory yesterday.

Note the screws are originally staked in correct place, with the staking exactly in line with the screw head. Additionally, note there are no additional WaA63 acceptance stamps on the stock - does anyone know when they stopped doing this?

Nice carbine! Are there any external stock markings other than the serial and block?

No. I had mentioned in my last sentence that I can‘t find any WaA63 acceptance markings. Yet need to check the handguard whether it is marked.

No. I had mentioned in my last sentence that I can‘t find any WaA63 acceptance markings. Yet need to check the handguard whether it is marked.[/QUOTE

There seems to be some debate on this. I have an earlier c block with no WaA on the stock but matching serials in the usual 3 places. However, I've seen an early d block with a single WaA on the keel. Some members have mentioned not having seen WaA on laminate stock guns but it wasn't mentioned how late they were. There "seems" to be a trend toward fewer external stock markings as production gets later but I haven't seen enough examples to say this definitively.

Military Rifle Journal
Back