Third Party Press

1904 Kar98 carbine

Warrior1354

ax - hole
I remember Paul talking about this certain carbine a few years ago here is the original link.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?23087-1904-Erfurt-short-karabiner-98&highlight=1904

Now its for sale on Pre98.com for $28,000! The only problem is, it has been altered. Someone has filled in those holes in the receiver when it was drilled and tapped for a scope mount. And not only that, they restamped part of the 1904 dated receiver.

If you noticed in the sale listing more is focus on the items the carbine comes with then the carbine itself. It is a rare piece to own but not worth $28,000 in its current state.

https://pre98.com/shop/new-arrivals...lonial-africa-schutztruppe-bandoleer-bayonet/

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 71
Shystering aside, that's a pretty impressive restoration job on the holes. Although looking at the before and after photos you can tell something was done to it.

If you wouldn't had posted the pictures, it is hard to believe and see that it once had been drilled. Someone did an excellent job with that. However, can someone send the pictures of the rifle with the holes drilled to the guy who is offering it now? Someone purchasing it otherwise will be scammed if he is not aware of this (maybe even the current seller is not aware of this, at least I hope it). The restoration is well done, so shouldn't hurt it too much.

Correct me if I'm wrong but South West African Schutztruppe would have never carry that type of bayonet.
South West African Schutztruppe and Landespolizei would have carried S98, KS98 with leather grips, KS98 with wooden grips and KS98 with unvulcanized rubber composite grips. It's still a nice bayonet with that package deal but it's way overpriced.

Attachments

• received_1511983598938191.jpeg
    received_1511983598938191.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 60
  • FB_IMG_1559498305065.jpg
    FB_IMG_1559498305065.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 47
Yeah it is a damn good job, and something I am perfectly fine with as long as it is stated and billed as such, which this is not.

With the shear volume of turds floating in his pool I don’t know how anyone can pretend he’s innocent anymore. He’s the only guy I know that has sold a restored stock m/m 98k for 7k :googlie

When I saw this carbine for sale I thought it looked familiar. Then I recognize the serial number and knew full well those receiver holes were probably most likely filled and polish over. Especially when you look at the date the numbers stand out and you can tell some have been restamped.

That was my fear when I saw this rifle sold years ago. I knew a dealer would probably get it and then try to profit a lot of money off of it without telling anybody about the restoration.

Correct me if I'm wrong but South West African Schutztruppe would have never carry that type of bayonet.
South West African Schutztruppe and Landespolizei would have carried S98, KS98 with leather grips, KS98 with wooden grips and KS98 with unvulcanized rubber composite grips. It's still a nice bayonet with that package deal but it's way overpriced.

No, you are right. The S84/98 new pattern shown in the pictures wasnt even in service until mid 1915 when most of the Schutztruppe wasnt even fighting anymore.

Great Schutztruppe bayonets by the way!

With kind regards

Vincent

Not a great job in my opinion, the fake tarnish is a nice attempt, but still poorly executed.

If you ever have a receiver you suspect was welded, run your pinky around the inside face of the locking lug.

The 0 is the most pathetic thing, to put all that work into it and then use a US stamp is stupid. They could have matched the original zero with a little more work.

For $28,000 that gun should have been restored to perfect.

Hell, I could have built a perfect NEW rifle, with a new machined receiver, bolt and components, and aged it to near indistinguishable from an original for $28,000.

Military Rifle Journal
Back