Third Party Press

K.98 bayonet scabbard dent removal tool

balkslak

I was offered some bayonet scabbard dent removal tools the other day. How rare are these tools?IMG_4131.JPGIMG_4130.JPGIMG_4129.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandrels are always rare bird, interesting there are some different models, the one is pre 1939 proofed the other with NS eagle. b.r.Andy

Thank you for such a rapid response. What does these sell for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neat assortment of mandrels. I have seen this tool for a number of different bayonets (even the Polish Wz24/27). In German use, they would likely have been part of the Gross Waffenmeister repair kit, or found in a larger, rear echelon repair facility. I think when used, heat was likely applied to the dented area, to help the mandrel force back the metal. Once metal is bent or dented, it is also stretched. Thinner mil on a sheet sometimes has "memory", and can be popped back with minimal evidence of having been dented. The steel on a S84/98 T3 scabbard is surprisingly strong. In many instances it would take working with mandrel, metal hammer, & heat to reform. This often appears on refurbished scabbards, where evidence of hammering is seen. As for values, this ranges as to type, condition and markings. IMHO this could range from $100. up to $150.+. I have a couple very nice bayos with a crease in the scabbards. Have always wanted to see what improvement I might be able to make by use of a mandrel, but have yet get my hands on an example to try this out...

Nice mandrels! Quessing that the first one from top is for a Norwegian krag bayonet scabbard. If you do not want them I gladly purchase them.

I would think anyone who collects bayonets would love to have them in their collection. I certainly think they are very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Military Rifle Journal
Back