Third Party Press

wz29 for review

u96

Hi. I haven't seen one in person before so I don't really know what to look for. It's said to be all matching but there are 2 front sight parts that have 2 digit numbers that don't match the gun (or each other). The trigger guard and floor plate are unmarked. Is this typical? No import mark and a really nice bore. Any thoughts on a fair purchase price? Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_6527.JPG
    IMG_6527.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_6528.JPG
    IMG_6528.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_6529.JPG
    IMG_6529.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_6531.JPG
    IMG_6531.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_6532.JPG
    IMG_6532.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_6530.JPG
    IMG_6530.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 74
Looks pretty good. I believe the triggerguard and floorplate should be numbered though. The later year wz29s are hard to come by.

John.

This is a very nice Polish wz29. Looks like it wasn't even refinished or renumbered by Germans. Big plus for Polish collectors. Original Polish issue condition. Such rifle with matching Polish bolt is a rarity. Usually they have different bolts rematched by Germans. Floor plates were not numbered by Poles. That 41 number on the buttplate is probably a gun number within a unit. Quite common practice in Polish army in the period.

This one is really nice! I have one that was scrubbed for export to Spain and it only has numbers (matching) on the receiver and bolt. There is no evidence of mine having any numbers anywhere else. Sorry I can’t post photos but the rifle and I are about 1,300 miles apart right now.

Yours looks to be in great shape and is one to treasure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wz29’s had full serial numbers on the receiver, barrel, bolt handle, stock and buttplate with the last three numbers on the rear sight leaf. If their are serial numbers (full or partial) on any other part, the number is not original to the rifle. As far as price goes, as issued Wz29 are not easy to come by and I can’t confidently give a price without seeing more of the rifle.

Wz29’s had full serial numbers on the receiver, barrel, bolt handle, stock and buttplate with the last three numbers on the rear sight leaf. If their are serial numbers (full or partial) on any other part, the number is not original to the rifle. As far as price goes, as issued Wz29 are not easy to come by and I can’t confidently give a price without seeing more of the rifle.

Thanks. There is a wz29 on gunbroker now that has similar "random" numbers on the front site parts so I thought maybe it could be ok.

Looks pretty good. I believe the triggerguard and floorplate should be numbered though. The later year wz29s are hard to come by.

John.

Hi. I saw 1934 dated one with numbered trigger guard and floor plate. Maybe it's an early thing? Anyone seen a late 30's one with serials there?

Hi. I saw 1934 dated one with numbered trigger guard and floor plate. Maybe it's an early thing? Anyone seen a late 30's one with serials there?

Yes, late production wz29's do exist with numbered floorplates but I have only seen them on ones that have German depot markings. So I suspect those were numbered by them. To try to answer an earlier question I know the K29 marked rifles have numbered floorplates and trigger guards so its possible that some early production wz29's had them. The problem I don't know if there are enough unaltered early examples to really nail down any trends, so the numbering system I quoted above might only be correct only for the later examples.

From what I see your rifle looks correct though.

Last edited:
Some more pics for those interested. Thanks

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 20
and some more. no German markings anywhere.

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 23
Yes, exactly.
They aren't supposed to match I guess?

I have never seen them matching on any wz29. What do they mean, I don’t know. My best guess is either they are some kind of inspection mark or possibly they are the original numbers from reused 98a/az parts that the Radom factory never bothered to remove, or even some combination of both.

I have never seen them matching on any wz29. What do they mean, I don’t know. My best guess is either they are some kind of inspection mark or possibly they are the original numbers from reused 98a/az parts that the Radom factory never bothered to remove, or even some combination of both.

Makes sense. Thanks!

Military Rifle Journal
Back