Third Party Press

Some help with a BSW 625 C or L Series

WreckTangle

Mad Dog 20/20 Connoisseur (RIP Brother 06-05-203)
Have a chance at getting a BSW 625 L at auction in the next week. Hoping some of you could provide some answers to a few questions I have.

There has been some discussion online about the 625 C and L model variations. According to the threads the two can be confused between one another due to the similarity in the German script. Based on my research online (not a lot of info out there) I believe it’s the L variation because the rifle serial number (195xxx) places it in the L variation range in addition to the circle BSW logo--is this correct?

- How rare are the L series?
- What parts are serialized and where? I know there that the back edge of the safety is serialized, where is the bolt serialized on the stem?
- How much would you value the rifle at from the provided pictures?
- How much would you value the rifle (in addition to above) if it has a police eagle L on the keel of the stock?

I plan on contacting the auctioneer to see if I can get more pictures and information about the rifle. I'll post when I get the further information.

These are the best pictures that I have at the moment. From what I can tell the rifle looks like it’s in pretty good condition. The bluing looks pretty solid too.

Attachments

• 11012383_0.jpg
    11012383_0.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 11012385_0.jpg
    11012385_0.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 11012386_0.jpg
    11012386_0.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 11012387_0.jpg
    11012387_0.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 38
Based on the pics, which aren't great or inclusive, the rifle looks pretty good. If the bore is fine, $800-1,000 wouldn't be out of line especially with a stock cartouche - perhaps a little more. As for the C versus L debate, Simpsons concluded there is no L series, just a difference in fonts. They have, by far, done the most research and I don't think there is any real evidence to the contrary. Usually not many parts stamped. Receiver, bolt sometimes safety or small part on bolt. Stock may have a penciled serial number in the channel. My two cents worth (worth about that much). Best. dj

Based on the pics, which aren't great or inclusive, the rifle looks pretty good. If the bore is fine, $800-1,000 wouldn't be out of line especially with a stock cartouche - perhaps a little more. As for the C versus L debate, Simpsons concluded there is no L series, just a difference in fonts. They have, by far, done the most research and I don't think there is any real evidence to the contrary. Usually not many parts stamped. Receiver, bolt sometimes safety or small part on bolt. Stock may have a penciled serial number in the channel. My two cents worth (worth about that much). Best. dj

DJ thanks for the info and insight.

Yea I saw the epic gunboards thread that discussed the C vs. L debate last night after I posted.

Will get some more pictures hopefully today or tomorrow if the auctioneer has access to the rifle....

The "L" is indeed merely a different font for "C" on these. I went through every surviving document from this company in the archives at Suhl which pertained to the W625 series and other trainers. Design changes to the series were denoted by adding the letter suffix of "A", "B", and finally "C" to the model designation, but there was never an "L" used.

We added charts at the end of the section on the W625 rifles in "Training Rifles of Third Reich Germany" which will answer many of your questions and help determine the month/year of its production. There are 29 pages on this model and its history, development, and variations. The company's production of all small bore rifles were recorded in one serial number group, and the quantity made each month remained fairly consistent from 1933 up until the war, so it is pretty easy to date one of these with some accuracy. If you don't have a copy of the book but would like one, let me know and I can fix you up!

Steve

photo 1.jpg

It was me years back that started that discussion and considering there is no reference to an L anywhere I gave up my argument. The two C models do have some differences.

most second C models have a small police property mark down on the bottom of the heel of the stock. Eagle/ L,K or F I cant recall any longer..

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back