Third Party Press

Twn mg34

I had one. Got it in 2002. Here is a list of the problems I had

1. jamming- was due to feed cover rivets being loose at the hinge. They replaced it under warranty but the 'new' cover didn't work much better. Back then feed covers were about $50. I bought one from an ebay seller and it worked like a champ

2. semi auto sear wore out- I ended up making my own sear levers. but they wore out too. So I carried several with me when I took it out to use.

3. horrible trigger pull- mostly caused by the hefty firing pin spring they installed in all their guns. Why they used this hefty spring was because some of the surplus ammo on the market needed a stronger spring for ignition. (I believe this spring may have been a contributor to wear on the sear lever) switching to a standard original mg34 spring improved the TP.

4. ejector plate screws were too small and therefore too weak- yes, I had both screws break off in the receiver while firing. I managed to remove the broken screws. But compared to original ejector plate screws, the ones TNW uses are about half the diameter of the originals and therefore don't stand up well to the pounding.

5. ejection problems- not mine but at least two other friends that had these asked me to try to fix ejection problems. The problem was that it would fire the round but the spent case would not clear the bolt. It would tilt downward, still held in place by the extractor then the bolt would pick up the next round in the belt and try to feed it into the chamber like this. In other words, it would be like a double feed.

By the time I sold it all my troubles with it were worked out.
1. fixed with another good feed cover
2. TNW had a revised sear that improved this
3. I used an original firing pin spring and their later guns had an additional roller for the trigger that helped too
4. find screws the next size up. as close as can be found to the original screws. drill the existing holes larger, tap threads, then fit the screws. (I had to buff mine down as they stood up and the feed lever would strike them before I buffed them down
5. I tried replacing ejector plates, ejector pins and found some combination of the two that would work.

Military Rifle Journal
Back