Third Party Press

Is this a matching K98k bayonet?

Dazitt

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600 (3).jpgs-l1600 (4).jpg

Hi,

I barely know about markings and bayonets.
This ebay seller insist it is a matching k98k bayonet and seems to be good condition, but it costs 190USD.
What can you tell me from these pictures? or from the price?

Thank you in advance.

Yes, it is a matching bayonet and scabbard. Made by E & F Hörster in 1941. The photographs however are not detailed enough to provide much as far as further opinions. It appears possible that is has been reblued or otherwise with "touched up" finish. Grips may be replaced. Just can't tell for certain from the low quality photographs. Price is high market in my opinion.

I concur with Slash. I believe the piece is (original) matching. Grips look correct for the period. The poor photos are a concern because Ebay lets one post up to either 10 or 12 snaps per listing. This is enough to cover every external part of both bayonet & scabbard. To only use five is just laziness (or naivete) on the seller's part. There are numerous nicks & scratches on the bayonet...the pommel in particular. Some exhibit white metal indicating they are over the blued finish, while others don't seem to show this. However, not every nick or ding will result in finish wear that is readily evident. Based on the price and condition, if the piece is "straight" (from what can be seen), it would be close to top market. Too many "unknowns" from the mediocre photos remain, so I would pass on this one...

Thank you for your opinion, Slash, pwcosol.

I am going to purchase it for my first bayonet collection. I've mostly worried about fake matchings.
Maybe it could be refinished, grip replaced, bad conditioned, and expensive. I understood and should be awared as your advices.
I will post more close up photos by myself when I receive it.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Same opinion like Slash and PWCO, the screw are here mounted in wrong position, so grips were dissasembled, from the few photos its possible the blade is with ok blueing, but possible tip reshaped. about scabbard hard to say.By this price i would ask for detailed pictures, as all parts should be serialed. 190 is high for unknown condition piece. b.r.Andy

Military Rifle Journal
Back