Third Party Press

Kar 88s and 71s

hochimin

just purchased these from a collection, 2 kar 88s, 1 Kar 91 and 3 71s, don't know a lot about these but look to be all matching but one, does anyone know if they are collectible ? I have $1200 into all 6, thanks for any info
zKvXHjLl.jpg

RePO3MJl.jpg

What a score, very nice rifles and definitely collectible. That 91 is hard to find, I particularly like 71’s congrats!

All six look great from what is shown. I honestly think the whole lot is worth four or five times what you paid, and that may be low. If you don't collect Imperial, this is certainly a great start, congrats! Try and do detailed photos each, they are all worthy of their own threads, especially the 71s. Which manufacturers did you end up with?

Those are some righteous carbines and I thought I've had some luck this week sir that is probably one of the best deals I have heard in the past 2 years! The Gew91 carbines are pretty darn rare I've seen very few of those sold those were issued to artillery soldiers, and machine gun teams. Of course I love those early 71 carbines too. Please post more pictures when you get time and as Sam stated if you don't collect Imperial your off to a fantastic start.

I concur, fantastic buy...great guns, and instant Kar collection!

If you have doubles you can always use them as trade bait...

Also, you can get some pretty cool unit markings on these...

Looking forward to seeing more!

Warrior probably has an erection that lasted for more than 4 hours...better see a doctor bud!

ETA Beat by 2 minutes!

Mike that is probably one of the funniest things I've heard all week thanks for the laugh for the day! You know I have spent five years trying to find a nice kar71 it's hard to believe someone found three in one day! Let alone two kar88 carbines and Gew91!

Sure sounds like a bargain, though how good a bargain depends on makers, dates and condition.

This should be said more often, Wolfgang suggested I should make a point of doing so more often, but we have research studies on all these variations and a great deal can be gleaned from progress so far gained. We should encourage new owners to review the studies and where possible contribute their rifles to the research. In just a few years we have made significant progress, - unfortunately most of the progress has been scouring auctions and only in a relative few cases have collectors supplied reports.

Until Craig suggested this course, starting and maintaining research threads, getting a glimpse at actual production and their trends was impossible. Storz's books on the subjects are obviously the best resources to the history of the rifles, development and use, but these research threads give guidance to what can be expected on actual rifles, their dates & ranges, unit marking patterns and progress, and a idea of relative rarity by maker-date.

Lets all try to contribute to Craig Brown's project. Report your rifles where possible, pictures are not necessary, though "accuracy" is and why pictures are preferred.

***hochimin, little can be said specifically regarding the rifles w/o a few detailed pictures, however you can get an idea of what you have by going to the threads that are pinned to the top of this forum, for each variation there are brief variation descriptions written by CB and all known rifles that we collectively had records of or access too. This alone will give a general idea to rarity of each maker-date and how common they are (naturally this is a small glimpse of what is out there, in collections, but should provide some perspective and guidance.)

That for sure beats my record...

If there are any CG Haenel in there.... send me a PM if you want to sell.

Military Rifle Journal
Back