Third Party Press

WTB 8mm mauser

Jbgooch

What’s the recommended ammo I can use for my kar98k. As nice as some patrone s.s would be, that’s more of a collector ammunition. And I don’t trust cheap outdated mass produced Soviet era ammo.

8mm

Another +1 for PPU
Its reloadable, available, and you can shoot it in indoor ranges too.

A 1,000 round case of Portuguese 7.92x57 surfaces from time to time. It's great stuff. I'd stay strictly away from 8mm ammo made in Turkey or the middle east.

Second Portuguese, I’m down to my last 540 rounds and it’s the best surplus I’ve ever found. Hard to find tho....

Is it better than the Yugo surplus? Not a challenge but a real question...:)

Certainly nothing wrong with the Yugo surplus, though you will get the occasional hard primer due to age since most of the ammo found will date to the early 1950s. I've never had this happen with Port. 8mm. It's always been sure fire.

Portuguese 7.62x51 is also excellent, about the cleanest I've ever shot. Spanish Santa Barbara is really nice, too, but both of these have pretty much dried up. They were really common at one time. Wish I'd bought more! I've been shooting American made Federal M80 LC NATO ball lately. Good, consistent stuff, usually sold loose packed in 500 & 1,000 round boxes. M118 is available, too.

Certainly nothing wrong with the Yugo surplus, though you will get the occasional hard primer due to age since most of the ammo found will date to the early 1950s. I've never had this happen with Port. 8mm. It's always been sure fire.

Portuguese 7.62x51 is also excellent, about the cleanest I've ever shot. Spanish Santa Barbara is really nice, too, but both of these have pretty much dried up. They were really common at one time. Wish I'd bought more! I've been shooting American made Federal M80 LC NATO ball lately. Good, consistent stuff, usually sold loose packed in 500 & 1,000 round boxes. M118 is available, too.

I have a small amount of 50’s era Yugo stuff but I have yet to shoot it so no first hand experience with the hard primers (but I have heard that it can be an issue). I have a lot of 90’s era Yugo and I have yet to run into the hard primer issue.

I’m going to keep my eyes peeled for Portuguese 8mm now. :)

Military Rifle Journal
Back