Third Party Press
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: WTB 8mm mauser

  1. #1
    Junior Member Jbgooch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    21

    Default WTB 8mm mauser

    Whatís the recommended ammo I can use for my kar98k. As nice as some patrone s.s would be, thatís more of a collector ammunition. And I donít trust cheap outdated mass produced Soviet era ammo.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Wichita Kansas
    Posts
    28

    Default

    I have had great luck with PPU, and it's reloadable.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Junior Member Comet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    6

    Default 8mm

    Another +1 for PPU
    Its reloadable, available, and you can shoot it in indoor ranges too.

  4. #4
    Senior Member tsmgguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    West of the Pecos, TX
    Posts
    1,043

    Default

    A 1,000 round case of Portuguese 7.92x57 surfaces from time to time. It's great stuff. I'd stay strictly away from 8mm ammo made in Turkey or the middle east.
    Wanted: K98 Dou-42 bolt 5235b, and Port. bayonet G19383

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Second Portuguese, Iím down to my last 540 rounds and itís the best surplus Iíve ever found. Hard to find tho....

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CLG View Post
    Second Portuguese, Iím down to my last 540 rounds and itís the best surplus Iíve ever found. Hard to find tho....
    Is it better than the Yugo surplus? Not a challenge but a real question...:-)

  7. #7
    Senior Member tsmgguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    West of the Pecos, TX
    Posts
    1,043

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flowjoe View Post
    Is it better than the Yugo surplus? Not a challenge but a real question...:-)
    Certainly nothing wrong with the Yugo surplus, though you will get the occasional hard primer due to age since most of the ammo found will date to the early 1950s. I've never had this happen with Port. 8mm. It's always been sure fire.

    Portuguese 7.62x51 is also excellent, about the cleanest I've ever shot. Spanish Santa Barbara is really nice, too, but both of these have pretty much dried up. They were really common at one time. Wish I'd bought more! I've been shooting American made Federal M80 LC NATO ball lately. Good, consistent stuff, usually sold loose packed in 500 & 1,000 round boxes. M118 is available, too.
    Wanted: K98 Dou-42 bolt 5235b, and Port. bayonet G19383

  8. #8
    Member milgunsguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    the American West
    Posts
    39

    Default Portuguese 8mm ammo bullet weight

    Does anyone know what bullet weight this ammo is loaded with?

    It's dependable and accurate.

    When I bought it thirty-odd years ago, the selling dealer stated that this ammo was Boxer primed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by milgunsguy; 08-09-2019 at 09:06 AM.
    .
    .
    The winemaker Carlo Rossi said: "If you can't tell the difference, why pay the difference?"

  9. #9
    Senior Member haak48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    AZ Mountains
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by milgunsguy View Post
    Does anyone know what bullet weight this ammo is loaded with?

    It's dependable and accurate.
    198 FMJBT NC/BR. Regards, JH

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tsmgguy View Post
    Certainly nothing wrong with the Yugo surplus, though you will get the occasional hard primer due to age since most of the ammo found will date to the early 1950s. I've never had this happen with Port. 8mm. It's always been sure fire.

    Portuguese 7.62x51 is also excellent, about the cleanest I've ever shot. Spanish Santa Barbara is really nice, too, but both of these have pretty much dried up. They were really common at one time. Wish I'd bought more! I've been shooting American made Federal M80 LC NATO ball lately. Good, consistent stuff, usually sold loose packed in 500 & 1,000 round boxes. M118 is available, too.
    I have a small amount of 50ís era Yugo stuff but I have yet to shoot it so no first hand experience with the hard primers (but I have heard that it can be an issue). I have a lot of 90ís era Yugo and I have yet to run into the hard primer issue.

    Iím going to keep my eyes peeled for Portuguese 8mm now. :-)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •