Third Party Press

Any Reliable Gun Sales Sites?

I agree that there are certainly dishonest people out there, and there are certainly people with different views of what an honest rifle or pistol actually is. Like the 1902 or 1904 Kar that was posted recently. Absolutely a terrible job, mind boggling in its dis-honesty.

But we have to be careful at the same time. I see thread after thread that guns are labeled humped, bad, etc.

Because the bolt serial was remarked does not make the seller a scammer. Because the bolt was remarked does not make it humped or a forgery, or a scam, or anything else, and even Karem and Steves have stated on this board that it is difficult, at times, even for them to recognize a good original piece from something that was modified/reworked during WWII, after WWII, or during any of the dozen+ wars in between.

In my example, I seriously doubt the importer took the time to remark anything. What would their motive be? Money? I doubt it, with the cost of labor being what it is. If they were going to remark parts, wouldn't they remark parts to make the gun more valuable? Now in your example, you have a person claiming to be an employee that says they were restamping bolts. I take that as much fact as someone saying anything... I take it with a might big grain of salt. Can we confirm employment? Like anything on this board, what are the primary sources? I do not take anyone's word as fact, unless they have something to substantiate it.

Original font stamps similar to factory tooling are near impossible to find, and extremely expensive to make. Originals are beyond rare.

It comes down to studying as diverse a group of rifles as you can. Diverse knowledge helps too. I am constantly amazed at people who call a rifle humped, because it was mis-stamped. They clearly have never stamped anything. But know the subtle differences can make all the difference.

No the 1891 Argentine I don't think was done by the importer. I forget who made the statement about Inter Ordnance and Finn bolts, but it is in one of the off topic threads and was made by a longtime member. When you have nothing for your employees to do you create busy work, or you pay them to do nothing. It's during those times it would make sense to renumber bolts.

There were also rare Finn rifles created by gunsmiths. One marked his work with his initials under the buttplate. The other was commissioned to make them as examples for "personal collections" never to be sold. Yet I've seen M27rv for sale that don't fall in the known serial range and only in America will you find a M24rv (fantasy piece).

Then of course you have the scammer who will work harder to fake a rifle for a few hundred than to get up and go to work. One of the worst examples was the SCW scrubbed wz29 that were restamped and even had the serial number changed. At least one guy paid $1600 the other we were able to contact in time before he sent $1,400 IIRC.

The waffenamt shop sells all kinds of stamps from all different countries and eras. They aren't going through the trouble making them if people aren't buying them. People aren't buying them to stamp their textbook covers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Military Rifle Journal
Back