Third Party Press

New find. commercial 84/98 P.weyersberg & co. Solingen

mauser99

Picked this up from a recent dumped collection.

My main question is ? Is the scabbard the correct scabbard for the blade. The blade is #'d the scabbard is not. No proofs ect. which is common on these odd ball Commercial type Bayonets.
Condition is near new and it did have a frog on it which I safely removed to look for markings.

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• commerical bayo.jpg
    commerical bayo.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 26
  • commercial bayo1.jpg
    commercial bayo1.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 30
  • commercial bayo 3.jpg
    commercial bayo 3.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 36
  • commercial bayo 2.jpg
    commercial bayo 2.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 36
  • com bayo.jpg
    com bayo.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 32
  • com bayo 11.jpg
    com bayo 11.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 28
  • com bayo 5.jpg
    com bayo 5.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 33
  • com bayo 1.jpg
    com bayo 1.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 29
When i remember correctly some of the PWCo scabbard are unmarked, mostly the police and later production.b.r.Andy
The pictures looks like a 42 PWCo paired with prewar scabbard, as it has lines on frog hook. b.r.Andy

thanks Andy , I'm pretty sure I checked for the police spine marking. I will double check tonight.

Checked my own Paul Weyersberg & Co Solingen behoerden examples. The earliest has wood grips (#1320 DRP) and a satin rust finish to both bayonet & scabbard. The latest is like your example (#1494). Every scabbard has a smooth frog stud with no lines. With few exceptions, the scabbards for these bayonets are devoid of any markings. Don't think you will find any spine markings, as that pretty much terminated by 1941 (and was applicable to police contract pieces).

The bayonet is from the last of several Weyersberg Behoerden contracts and dates from 1943. As already stated the scabbard is earlier. The correct scabbard would be unmarked as well but a later pattern without the incised lines to the frog hanging hook.

Just getting back to this... Thank you all for your expert reports.. We are lucky to have the most knowledgeable bayonet collectors here on the forum. :thumbsup:

Its correct but, not 100% correct per-say. Frog seemed to be later type rough out maker visible but no date visible.

Here are the photos... looking at the pic's up close it could be 42 dated ?? its been on there a long time.

Attachments

• frog markings.jpg
    frog markings.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 10
  • frog.jpg
    frog.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 7
  • overall com bayo.jpg
    overall com bayo.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 10
Thanks for the additional pics. The frog marking is FRANZ BREHME > WALSRODE 1942. A prolific leather producing firm. They were also one of the few makers of frogs for the S.98/05 during the IIIR period.

Military Rifle Journal
Back