Third Party Press

1915 V. Chr. Schilling

mauser1908

Here's rifle that I've had for years. Another that I never took good photos of when I received it, mainly just the important parts. This one is a real warhorse and a good example of a heavily reworked rifle (Koblenz). This one is largely not matching, with the exception of the stock and some of the hardware.

IMG_9052.jpgIMG_9054.jpgIMG_9056.jpgIMG_9057.jpgIMG_9058.jpgIMG_9059.jpgIMG_9060.jpgIMG_9061.jpgIMG_9062.jpgIMG_9063.jpgIMG_9064 (1).jpgIMG_9065.jpgIMG_9524.jpgIMG_9066.jpgIMG_9067.jpgIMG_9068.jpgIMG_9069.jpgIMG_9070.jpgIMG_9071.jpgIMG_9072.jpg

Rare one too. Any 1915 made rifle by the suhl consortium are very scarce. And IMO this one is the hardest to find. Damn nice rifle Sam!

I agree, very difficult to find, though they are equally rare during 1915, - each maker so far has the same number of reports. Roughly 9 each, though CGH has 10.

I could never find a VCS (any year) for sale that was in good condition. CGH seemed difficult too, though CGH are the most numerous of the three makers (I just had a hard time finding one in nice condition). Mark Wieringa once wrote that he found JPS the most difficult (nice), though was the easiest for me. I have had half a dozen JPS over the years, a couple of them pretty nice examples.

All the SUhl makers can be tough to find nice, Simson and the Consortium, even the sterngewehrs Dresden assembled can be tough in nice grades... a combination of low numbers and their comparative extensive use probably account for this. Saxony must have had to use their rifles longer, or perhaps they had the same grievance Bavarian's had with the Prussians, - I have read that at the end of the war the Bavarian's felt they carried a disproportional burden of the fighting (probably because they were more reliable at the end... it is also said in British summaries that some of the best (disciplined) troops they witnessed returning to Germany in 1918 were from Württemberg).

Really nice rifle! Thank you for sharing. I just love the Suhl rifles... I've got a nice Simson, JPS and VCS, but the Haenel eludes me...

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Man, thats cool, I love the consortium rifles!

Thank you!

Rare one too. Any 1915 made rifle by the suhl consortium are very scarce. And IMO this one is the hardest to find. Damn nice rifle Sam!

Thanks Jordan!

I agree, very difficult to find, though they are equally rare during 1915, - each maker so far has the same number of reports. Roughly 9 each, though CGH has 10.

I could never find a VCS (any year) for sale that was in good condition. CGH seemed difficult too, though CGH are the most numerous of the three makers (I just had a hard time finding one in nice condition). Mark Wieringa once wrote that he found JPS the most difficult (nice), though was the easiest for me. I have had half a dozen JPS over the years, a couple of them pretty nice examples.

All the SUhl makers can be tough to find nice, Simson and the Consortium, even the sterngewehrs Dresden assembled can be tough in nice grades... a combination of low numbers and their comparative extensive use probably account for this. Saxony must have had to use their rifles longer, or perhaps they had the same grievance Bavarian's had with the Prussians, - I have read that at the end of the war the Bavarian's felt they carried a disproportional burden of the fighting (probably because they were more reliable at the end... it is also said in British summaries that some of the best (disciplined) troops they witnessed returning to Germany in 1918 were from Württemberg).

Thanks Paul, great info as always, all of the Suhls have been tough for me, VCS is the only one I have. CGH is the only one I've never had the opportunity to buy though, minus one with significant problems at a show.

Really nice rifle! Thank you for sharing. I just love the Suhl rifles... I've got a nice Simson, JPS and VCS, but the Haenel eludes me...

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Thank you, I've encountered one CGH in the wild and it had a lot of issues. I've had the chance to buy more VCS made rifles than any of the others. Plenty of chances at Simson and JPS, generally didn't have the cash at the time or was eyeing something else.

Military Rifle Journal
Back