Third Party Press

What book(s) for WWI 98s?

jimdvan

Recently buying my first Imperial 98, a 1916 Erfurt Kar98a,
has whetted my appetite a bit for them. I don't have a desire for more than one or two but I would like to learn more about them. What book or books should I get to give me similar information as the "Karabiner 98k" books have given us for the later guns? I have several questions about details of my gun I'd like to have the answers to.

Storz is a good start for primary source information. You can glean more info specific to each of the manufacturers through reading old threads here.

It looks like what I'm looking for but, boy, it aint cheap.

Jim, good references never are...but they are cheap in the long run...

My standard advice for any newer collectors? Spend money on good references first, it'll save you money in the long run, and good references are key to building a good collection.

Jim, good references never are...but they are cheap in the long run...

My standard advice for any newer collectors? Spend money on good references first, it'll save you money in the long run, and good references are key to building a good collection.
Yep, that has been my philosophy for many years.

One of the questions I had about my rifle was about the black paint on some of the parts. The trigger housing, floor plate and barrel bands have what looks to be black paint on them, mostly in protected areas and under the wood. It seems baked on, as a test with laquer thinner didn't touch it. Is that factory applied?

Last edited:
Yep, that has been my philosophy for many years.

One of the questions I had about my rifle was about the black paint on some of the parts. The trigger housing, floor plate and barrel bands have what looks to be black paint on them, mostly in protected areas and under the wood. It seems baked on, as a test with laquer thinner didn't touch it. Is that factory applied?

Do you have some photos of it?

Military Rifle Journal
Back