Third Party Press
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: K98k bnz 43

A little more info before I share these photos. Not particularly liking this free photobucket account but it was free.
    This rifle is as I received it. I have done nothing. The cleaning rod and sling were missing but the old friend told me he thought there was one with it when he first got it. He inherited it from his cousin the US soldier who brought it back along with another that went to another family member. He got both in"44. This one not only survived the war and the trip home across the pond but also a break in at his house where most all of his other guns were stolen. It was spared for a reason. It has been in a safe for many years, Don't know if either of them ever fired it but I assure you I will!
    I will need to clean the handling oils from the stock but will research the best preservation methods first. Enjoy

http://s349.photobucket.com/user/int...ain/slideshow/

That is a super SS contract bnz43 (probably assembled around early 44). Are the bands numbered also? I forget if they are supposed to be at this date...

The stock looks great and you shouldn't do a thing to it. Leaving it alone is the best thing you can do for it.

Default Great Rifle!

Ryan’s right, great gun! Congrats on finding a nice historical gem!

Just an unsolicited thought, but if you’re interested in shooting k98’s (which everyone loves), maybe consider a nice RC or bolt m/m. It’d be a shame to damage the ol’ Gal.

Cheers,
    Brandon

I can't stress this enough - if you " clean the handling oils from the stock " you will effectively cut the value of your rifle by 40% to collectors. Stocks are meant to look like that - for every rifle with an untouched stock there are 100 that have been cleaned and ruined. I hope it isn't too late, and that you haven't already cleaned it.

I advise against shooting it as well, as old stocks tend to be dry and recoil lugs can set back and crack them. Many collectible guns have been ruined by shooting them. The rifle you inherited is a treasured collectible now, not a range mule. If you insist on shooting collectible guns so be it, but you've been warned.

Here's a guy who shot his collectible cyq P.38 with reduced hand loads. http://forums.p38forum.com/forums/sh...201#post285201
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Thanks for some great info. Giving it lots of thought I will not be cleaning and or shooting this rifle. I will just make a permanent home directly across from my M1 in the safe so they can stare at each other for eternity with the M1 telling the captured K98k...You know who won?

There are no barrel band markings but there are # on the stock and sight. I pulled the bolt and it is marked as well, all matching. As well there are no numbers on the sight hood and cleaning rod holder. There is an impression of a C on the buttstock and some other small markings that I cant tell whether they are stamps or just handling damage.

Thanks for all the comments. I do have one question that may sound dumb but what exactly is a contract rifle?

Default Bnz

Great rifle!

Long story short, the SS contracted directly with Steyr to make rifles in 1943, yours is one. You made the right decision not to clean it, it’s fine as is and very collectible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Great rifle and thank you for sharing. Anytime I hear about bringback K98k rifles this picture comes to mind. Found this in an old antique store a couple years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

Keeper of the Def's Head M1903A3's Avatar

Killer SS contract rifle! What a great find you have. Don’t do anything to it, because it is fantastic just as it is. Thank you for sharing it with us. Awesome rifle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Just echoing what the others said. Great rifle. High condition wood and metal. Un-messed with example. All of this together is quite hard to find. So many altered or faked examples out there. Congrats and definitely thanks for sharing.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"