Third Party Press

K98k bnz 43

Thanks for some great info. Giving it lots of thought I will not be cleaning and or shooting this rifle. I will just make a permanent home directly across from my M1 in the safe so they can stare at each other for eternity with the M1 telling the captured K98k...You know who won?

There are no barrel band markings but there are # on the stock and sight. I pulled the bolt and it is marked as well, all matching. As well there are no numbers on the sight hood and cleaning rod holder. There is an impression of a C on the buttstock and some other small markings that I cant tell whether they are stamps or just handling damage.

Thanks for all the comments. I do have one question that may sound dumb but what exactly is a contract rifle?

If you can and are interested, I know some of us would be interested in seeing any and all markings you can find anywhere on this rifle! It’s uncommon to see one that is completely original so from a research standpoint it would be helpful. I particularly am fond of these and I know several others here are too. If the user named “Loewe” sees this he may have some additional insight about it, he’s a fountain of knowledge on SDP (Steyr-Daimler-Puch) which is who made this. Thanks in advance if you shoot more pics!! Again, GREAT rifle!

P.S. keep a sharp eye out for markings like these:
a505489c32ade20811e40c88fae65b83.jpg
7a1ca7a78d24be1e5bcc9a2a7a11f445.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We all here appreciate your efforts. Again sounds like a great rifle you have there. Thanks again for the info you can share.

Added pictures

With your advice I disassembled the rifle today and found a few more markings, mostly located on the barrel. An interesting one was just below the bnz shield and hidden by the stock. Top stock and bottom both have matching #. Tell me what you know about these markings. Some are viewed with a small 60x attachment for my iPhone. I find it useful sometimes at work. IMG_0650.jpg

http://s349.photobucket.com/user/inthewindagain/slideshow/

Last edited:
Hello to all,
I am a new member of the forum and have recently acquired a BNZ43 K98. It has all matching no suffix serial numbers, but is converted to 8x64 calibre due to the laws in France previously banning possession of military calibre weapons, so 8x57 was illegal. My question is whether this a contract arm or a normal production rifle from the first 10,000 batch. The barrel has 76 Bo, a small star and a 623 'amt on the bottom. The stock and hand guard are also numbered to match. I know that the common view is that the bolt shroud, cocking piece, barrel bands and floor plate should not be numbered, plus there is a very faint 623 'amt above the maker code on the receiver.
Thank you for your views,
Kerry.

Last edited:
If it has an e/623 acceptance on top of the receiver it is army production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks again to MrFarb for the identification. Here are a couple of scans, although just an army rifle it is nice to have one with 100% matching parts.
Kerry.

Attachments

• DSC_0120.JPG
    DSC_0120.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_0122.JPG
    DSC_0122.JPG
    204.6 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_0128.JPG
    DSC_0128.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited: