Third Party Press

K98k bnz 43

Thanks for the add to the group. First time posting so bear with me if I manage to break the rules
I am the new owner of a K98k bnz 43 Mauser. I know the story of a US soldier in France during the Liberation. Two bring back rifles, one a battlefield pickup and this one found in a village courthouse behind a door. What I don't know is what all of the markings mean. Two in particular I have not found information on, so I reach out to the experience of the group. On the barrel is a shield with bnz over a 1, next to that on the barrel is a Cb, on the trigger housing is a symbol on top of a 77. Your help is appreciated.Thanks

http://s349.photobucket.com/user/inthewindagain/slideshow/

Attachments

• IMG_0614.jpg
    IMG_0614.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0616.jpg
    IMG_0616.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0617.jpg
    IMG_0617.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
The barrel shield is for Steyr’s in house production of the barrel, many manufacturers went to these shield type identifiers later in the war. The CB is the barrel lot for a particular run of barrels, this is assumed to be used for tracking defects and what not. Your rifle is also more than it appears and looks to be a killer example at that! More pictures would be very welcome and people will expand on my statement. Welcome!

Can you post more photos? Specifically of the serial number. Is there a letter under the number?

I don't see WaA acceptance on top of the receiver, so you might have an SS contract rifle.

This looks like its going to be a screamer of a rifle. Please post some more photos!

Do you know the name of the city it came from, or what unit the person who brought it back was in?

Thanks for the quick responses. I will post more pics when time permits. I don't have the complete info on the soldier but his 90 year old living cousin willed it to me because he knows I will cherish it. I can tell you that all # match and that it appears to me to have never been fired or fired very little as there is no major wear on the breech. There is no letters under the serial # 7255. I've read on here that sometimes the Germans gave guns to local officials as goodwill gifts. I will be going through the painstaking process of securing the soldiers military record. I can tell you he was a radioman whose job was to enter and secure the radios in captured/disabled tanks. Imagine what he saw!

I apologize for the delay in getting pictures up but the allowance is very small so I am looking at alternatives. Any suggestions? To answer a question about what village it came from I do not know at this time and am in communications with family to try and get that info.

A little more info before I share these photos. Not particularly liking this free photobucket account but it was free.
This rifle is as I received it. I have done nothing. The cleaning rod and sling were missing but the old friend told me he thought there was one with it when he first got it. He inherited it from his cousin the US soldier who brought it back along with another that went to another family member. He got both in"44. This one not only survived the war and the trip home across the pond but also a break in at his house where most all of his other guns were stolen. It was spared for a reason. It has been in a safe for many years, Don't know if either of them ever fired it but I assure you I will!
I will need to clean the handling oils from the stock but will research the best preservation methods first. Enjoy

http://s349.photobucket.com/user/inthewindagain/slideshow/

That is a super SS contract bnz43 (probably assembled around early 44). Are the bands numbered also? I forget if they are supposed to be at this date...

The stock looks great and you shouldn't do a thing to it. Leaving it alone is the best thing you can do for it.

Great Rifle!

Ryan’s right, great gun! Congrats on finding a nice historical gem!

Just an unsolicited thought, but if you’re interested in shooting k98’s (which everyone loves), maybe consider a nice RC or bolt m/m. It’d be a shame to damage the ol’ Gal.

Cheers,
Brandon

I can't stress this enough - if you " clean the handling oils from the stock " you will effectively cut the value of your rifle by 40% to collectors. Stocks are meant to look like that - for every rifle with an untouched stock there are 100 that have been cleaned and ruined. I hope it isn't too late, and that you haven't already cleaned it.

I advise against shooting it as well, as old stocks tend to be dry and recoil lugs can set back and crack them. Many collectible guns have been ruined by shooting them. The rifle you inherited is a treasured collectible now, not a range mule. If you insist on shooting collectible guns so be it, but you've been warned.

Here's a guy who shot his collectible cyq P.38 with reduced hand loads. http://forums.p38forum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=285201#post285201

Thanks for some great info. Giving it lots of thought I will not be cleaning and or shooting this rifle. I will just make a permanent home directly across from my M1 in the safe so they can stare at each other for eternity with the M1 telling the captured K98k...You know who won?

There are no barrel band markings but there are # on the stock and sight. I pulled the bolt and it is marked as well, all matching. As well there are no numbers on the sight hood and cleaning rod holder. There is an impression of a C on the buttstock and some other small markings that I cant tell whether they are stamps or just handling damage.

Thanks for all the comments. I do have one question that may sound dumb but what exactly is a contract rifle?

Long story short, the SS contracted directly with Steyr to make rifles in 1943, yours is one. You made the right decision not to clean it, it’s fine as is and very collectible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great rifle and thank you for sharing. Anytime I hear about bringback K98k rifles this picture comes to mind. Found this in an old antique store a couple years ago.

Attachments

• American GI with K98k.jpeg
    American GI with K98k.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 78
Killer SS contract rifle! What a great find you have. Don’t do anything to it, because it is fantastic just as it is. Thank you for sharing it with us. Awesome rifle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just echoing what the others said. Great rifle. High condition wood and metal. Un-messed with example. All of this together is quite hard to find. So many altered or faked examples out there. Congrats and definitely thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Military Rifle Journal
Back