Third Party Press

1925 Simson Gew. 98. / 98k

B_Paulus

1925 Simson Gew. 98b. / Kar.98k

I believe that I have posted here, previously, but can find no record.

I have this old rifle...

1925 Simson & Co. #5179.

Nothing appears to match, except for the receiver and barrel. Bolt, floorplate, electropenciled.

I'd like to know where it's been, when it was converted, etc.

Attachments

• 20190815_192342.jpg
    20190815_192342.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 165
  • 20190815_192312.jpg
    20190815_192312.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 20190815_192221.jpg
    20190815_192221.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Welcome.. this rifle was made in 1925 by Simson. It was originally a kar98b (full length like a gew98, but side mounted sling and bent bolt.)

Looks like at some point the rifle was reworked to k98k length, then captured by the Russians. Then a Russian armorer broke it down, reblued and put the l the rifle back together with mismatched pieces. The parts were then force matched with an electro pencil, the left side of the stock sanded and a new number added and a nice coat of shellac applied to the stock.

That's the cliff notes version, but very cool Russian capture rifle.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

A few photos, looking at the rifling @ muzzle.

Attachments

• 20190819_211828.jpg
    20190819_211828.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 42
  • 20190819_211808.jpg
    20190819_211808.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 20190819_211747.jpg
    20190819_211747.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 20190819_211726.jpg
    20190819_211726.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 41
I have a question about the (proper) stock fit.

The stock fit at the receiver / trigger guard area is good. The barrel is nearly free from touching the stock, except, of course, at the barrel bands and the bayonet lug block.

My question is; Should the bayonet lug block press up against the bottom of the barrel / should the stock have tension on it when tightening the trigger guard screws?

I believe that the answer is no. The stock is being forced to bend down / the receiver and chamber area of the barrel have to be forced down into the stock, putting pressure upward on the underside of the barrel at the bayonet lug block.

If I squeeze the stock and receiver near the chamber there is a spring effect.

Thanks. bp

Since this is a Russian capture, the stock is not the matching stock-- wobble is very common as are other odd fitting issues.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

What I meant to ask is were the K98k barrels intended to be free floated in the stock and/or is the bayonet lug designed to press on the underside of the barrel?

The lug isn’t supposed to touch, it’s the wood directly behind the lug that is, this area is designed with proper fitting of the action to exert a few pounds of upward pressure on the barrel when the action is properly seated. This is to dampen vibrations in the thin long barrels. Many times postwar rifles will have the lugs swapped around and refitted improperly to where they contact the barrel instead of the wood in the barrel channel.

The lug isn’t supposed to touch, it’s the wood directly behind the lug that is...
... Many times postwar rifles will have the lugs swapped around and refitted improperly to where they contact the barrel instead of the wood in the barrel channel.

The stock was touching the barrel in a lot of places in the channel. With light sanding, checking the fit, repeat, I have it where the only place the stock is touching the barrel (other than where the rear sight touches the hand guard) is the section of wood @flynaked mentioned above between the barrel bands.

QUESTION:
If I understand correctly, are we saying that neither of the barrel bands, nor the bayonet lug or its block, where it slides over the end of the stock should be touching the barrel?

As expected with the nature of the RC, the fit is far from perfect, I'd like to make it correct in stock fit.

The problem I have is that the wood is pressing hard enough against the bottom of the barrel without the bayonet lug end cap installed. (And, of course installing the end cap/bayonet lug is going to press up on the barrel even more).

THANKS! I'll be sure to add more photos.

The only work I plan on doing is fitting the stock better and removing the shellac, and re-oiling it.

Last edited:
The stock was touching the barrel in a lot of places in the channel. With light sanding, checking the fit, repeat, I have it where the only place the stock is touching the barrel (other than where the rear sight touches the hand guard) is the section of wood @flynaked mentioned above between the barrel bands.

QUESTION:
If I understand correctly, are we saying that neither of the barrel bands, nor the bayonet lug or its block, where it slides over the end of the stock should be touching the barrel?

As expected with the nature of the RC, the fit is far from perfect, I'd like to make it correct in stock fit.

The problem I have is that the wood is pressing hard enough against the bottom of the barrel without the bayonet lug end cap installed. (And, of course installing the end cap/bayonet lug is going to press up on the barrel even more).

THANKS! I'll be sure to add more photos.

The only work I plan on doing is fitting the stock better and removing the shellac, and re-oiling it.
You could put a small shim in the area under where the front of the reciever interacts with the recoil lug. See if that adjusts the angle the action sits in the stock a little. You could use layers of paper or tinfoil to make your shim.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Military Rifle Journal
Back