Third Party Press

Duv 42

DWM1915

Recent pickup and certainly one of the more difficult makers to track down, a g block DUV 42. When I was looking for others to compare it too there aren’t many posted, oddly I found more posted examples of the DUV finished BCD 41 rifles than DUV 42 rifles when I was researching old threads. All matching except the handguard and the band spring. The handguard is a c e/18 marked armorer spare that has wear marks around the rear band matching to the stock so they’ve been together a long time and I think likely a wartime replacement rather than a later “fix”. The band spring is a late war stamped version. Otherwise all matching. Barrel code is bys with the Lubeck gate stamp, markings on the keel of the stock are faint but serial number, letter block, P and the e/214 stamp at the wrist.

Thanks, Nick

Pic01.jpgPic02.jpgPic03.jpgPic04.jpgPic05.jpgPic06.jpgPic07.jpgPic07a.jpgPic08.jpgPic09.jpg

Rear side of the firing pin had an odd stamp I’ve not seen before, assuming it’s an internal shop mark but kind of interesting, the pin itself is numbered matching.

Pic21.jpg

..markings on the keel of the stock are faint but serial number, letter block, P and the e/214 stamp at the wrist.

Another great rifle. I look forward to studying it more in depth on a good screen but I did take note or this informations. If I'm doing it correctly it should be 27 August 1942 assuming the 4th day of the week is Thursday using German rules. Anyway that's awfully late to still have the P mark. Many had already given it up much earlier. I wonder if Stepan has recorded a later marked piece? I could not locate one so reported.

Thanks Heavy_Mech, interesting about the P, I really could not find many other DUV 42's to compare, and the one's I did find I think were all earlier than this one. Bruce\Mike's book records some k block rifles in their different trend studies but no pictures, it would be interesting to see if they had the P as well, was really end of production at BLM, at least for 98's.

nick

I have a couple Duv 41’s and two DUV 42’s. I am pretty sure one of my 42’s is July but they haven’t seen the light of day in many years. I will dig them out and post them. Maybe they can be of some help here. My first 98 was one of the DUV 41’s that I purchased in the 60’s and I still have it. Hope to post soon. Mike

Sweet. I had one years ago but someone refinished it unfortunately. Haven't run across another since. enjoy!

That’s a great rifle DWM. BLM finished bcd 41 receivers are far more uncommon than duv 42s in my experience (35 years). We may have more (one more I think) bcd/duv represented here in the pic sticky section due to scarcity.

I agree with Hambone, it's a really nice rifle and thank you to DWM for the photos and data. :happy0180:

@Heavy
You are correct, the stock completion date is August 27, 1942. In Berlin-Lübecker production the stocks still have the "P" marking in later blocks, "g" block isn't the latest.

@Mike
Every rifle is helpful, please show your 1941 and 1942 Berlin-Lübecker.

..Berlin-Lübecker production the stocks still have the "P" marking in later blocks, "g" block isn't the latest.

Thanks. I had a strong feeling you'd know the answer. What is the latest you've recorded if you don't mind. I'm thinking they were the last to finally drop these marks. Is that correct?

Thanks. I had a strong feeling you'd know the answer. What is the latest you've recorded if you don't mind. I'm thinking they were the last to finally drop these marks. Is that correct?

You are very welcome and the latest one which I know is in mid "i" block.

Military Rifle Journal
Back